Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Bridge partners with the Liberia Government and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops his/her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. The education crisis is one that requires urgent, collective, and concrete action to surmount. While Liberia has some of the lowest rate of out of school children in the world, the education crisis is not just about out of school children, but also about children who are in school and not learning. In Sub Saharan Africa, statistics say that 88% or almost 9 out of 10 children and adolescents will not be able to read proficiently by the time they are of age to complete primary and lower secondary Education.
Bridge started operations in Liberia in 2016, partnering with the government to launch its first Partnership Schools for nursery and primary schools targeted at providing life changing education for families living in low-income areas in 8 Counties (Bomi, Grand Cap Mount, Bong, Grand Bassa, Margibi, Rivercess, Nimba and Montserrado) under MOE's multi-providers Partnership Schools for Liberia (PSL) program. In 2017, Bridge Liberia further expanded its reach to the other marginalized and vulnerable communities in Grand Kru and Maryland Counties totaling 10 counties of operations in Liberia. The program was later re-branded in 2018 to Liberia Education Advancement Programme (LEAP).
Today, Bridge Liberia works with both communities and governments to ensure thousands of children have access to either a well-run, high achieving affordable public school so that the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 4 of Quality Education becomes a reality for the millions of children in Liberia quickly. You will join a group of young and passionate Liberians taking concrete action to help address the education crisis in Liberia and ensure a better future for the children of Liberia
The Finance Group at Bridge partners with country and global leadership to achieve financial sustainability of our operations and make our mission come true. We provide strategic partnership to global leadership on raising capital and actionable feedback on our financial performance. We are continually focused on judicious use of resources whether for each one of our territories or for the entire organisation.
Across our rapidly scaling multi-unit enterprise, we provide leadership to build a world-class financial infrastructure. This includes the design and development of financial systems, policies, procedures (taking into account current and fast growing high volume transactions, teams, numbers of geographically distributed business units) and provision of shared services for financial operations by a centralised team specialising in Accounting, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Treasury and Financial Planning & Analysis..
About the Role
The Director, Finance for Liberia is the business partner to the regional teams and gatekeeper for the financial performance of the territiory. The Director, Finance is part of the regional leadership team and reports to the Chief Financial Officer whilst having a dotted line reporting to the Country Director, Liberia[AJ1]. As a business partner, the Director, Finance oversees the financial execution of the budgets, ensures compliance to the financial policies and procedures, drives continuous process improvements to minimise and eliminate systemic risks such as fraud and, ensures judicious spending and use of organisational assets. Across these responsibilities, the Director, Finance is simultaneously providing long-term solutions for risk management and being open to new opportunities to generate more revenue, responsible for the financial statements of the territory, on which they will collaborate with the shared services team based in Hyderabad.
What You Will Do
- Develop rigorous financial plans along with regional operations teams.
- Perform scenario-based analysis and develop plans on product enhancement or new business initiatives.
- Handle ad-hoc requests for solutions with a short turnaround time and supplement such requests with appropriate analysis and comments to support decision making.
- Review the plans vs actuals on regular basis; analyse in-depth any variance and communicate this to all stakeholders.
- Continuously track, accurately report and circulate key financial metrics to relevant stakeholders at requisite time intervals.
- Own the source of truth for numbers for your region, including the key metrics and performance drivers.
- Develop deep understanding of organizational drivers and leverage to create actionable plans.
- Prepare financial information & analysis for review and/or presentation with key highlights.
- Work with the leadership team within the region to identify and address material financial risks and opportunities and suggests process improvements on systemic usage patterns for efficiency, tailor the capabilities of internal systems to meet organizational needs.
- Ensure that effective and efficient internal controls are in place. Collaborate with the regional leadership team and finance shared services to design and implement such controls.
- Monitor compliance to statutory requirements (including Tax and other related regulations).
- Own the financial statements for the region. Review and sign-off accounts as prepared by the finance shared services team.
- Contribute to tax planning initiatives for the region.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- At least 5-8 years of experience within finance
- Strong analytical rigor and problem-solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Self-driven and collaborative.
- Has achieved success operating in environments with high risk of fraud and leakage, particularly in emerging markets.
- Thrives on being challenged and challenging others. Will speak-up.
- Upholds high levels of integrity. Will do the right thing even if means disagreeing with others, regardless of their seniority.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Professional Accounting Qualification; OR
- Degree in a business/finance/Accounting related field. MBA with a record of top academic performance is highly desirable.
● A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
● A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
● A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
● A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
● A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
● A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.