Instructional Oversight Program Manager
Instructional Oversight Program Manager
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
The education crisis is one that requires urgent, collective, and concrete action to surmount. While Nigeria is said to have the largest number of out of school children in the world, the education crisis is not just about out of school children, but also about children who are in school and not learning. In Sub Saharan Africa, statistics say that 88% or almost 9 out of 10 children and adolescents will not be able to read proficiently by the time they are of age to complete primary and lower secondary Education. With Nigeria being the most populous country in Sub Saharan Africa, this crisis impacts us most.
Bridge started operations in Nigeria in 2015, opening its affordable private nursery and primary schools targeted at providing life changing education for families living in low-income areas of Lagos State in parts of Ikorodu, Alimosho, Badagry, Ojo, Epe, and other local government areas. In 2017, Bridge further expanded its reach to the most marginalized and vulnerable communities by partnering with the Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) and the State of Borno to set up a public school serving out-of-school children and children from internally displaced communities. In 2018, Bridge became technical partners to the Edo State government in its implementation of the Edo State Basic Education Sector Transformation program to reform its public primary and nursery school system.
Today, Bridge works with both communities and governments to ensure hundreds of thousands of children have access to either a well-run, high achieving affordable private or free public school so that the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 4 of Quality Education becomes a reality for the millions of children in Nigeria quickly. You will join a group of Nigerians taking concrete action to help address the education crisis in Nigeria and ensure a better future for the children of Nigeria.
Operations work closely and take responsibility for the critical performance of our entire network of academies, including personnel management, instructional delivery, expenses & payroll, facilities and more. Effective management of academy operations is measured by:
- Staff satisfaction and turnover
- Cost of headquarters support per pupil
- Educational outcomes as measured by academic testing programme
About the Role
The Instructional Oversight Program Manager is responsible for ensuring all schools be it Bridge Community Schools and partner schools are running efficiently to ensure learning outcomes are being met. This includes monitoring teacher attendance, pupil attendance, lesson completion information as well as overall pupil learning outcomes. All this is done by ensuring certain variables are continuously assessed, reviewed and updated accordingly. each academy has the proper number of teachers to teach all classes, creating and operationalizing academy personnel disciplinary policy, and coordinating teacher and Academy Manager (AM) recruiting at existing academies.
What You Will Do
- Monitor Teacher Guide Availability, Attendance, GPS data and more on a weekly basis.
- Monitor/Track School attendance and lesson completion, highlighting Top and Bottom performing schools and ensuring accuracy and timely delivery of reports.
- Conduct weekly impact analysis of notices and flag high need schools to field teams based on weekly analysis.
- Conduct efficient management of projects and programs to ensure goals are achieved within specified deadlines.
- Monitor agreed indices and variables of partner schools and producing periodical reports on said indices and variables
- Providing insights into data and giving informed recommendations to partner organizations as well as within the Bridge organization.
- Be an integral member of the team in managing relationships with partners and be able to address ad hoc needs as they arise.
- Monitoring entry rates of scores for exams and executing requisite reports/analysis to support school management
- Proactively looks at solutions to improve NG academy operations as relates to function
- Proactively looks at solutions to increase quality of deliverables and productivity of self, team, overall function
- Uses Bridge customer and market data/research (i.e. data from the source) to inform suggested solutions
- Reviews previously completed work both in country and other Bridge operating countries to inform solutions recommended
- Suggests improvement solutions with sustainability, scalability, functional interdependencies, people impact, business model impact and cost in mind i.e. demonstrates strategic thinking through well thought out improvement solution suggestions
- Supports leadership in managing change, cross functional impact and business model impact by seeking management input prior to implementation
- Demonstrates a focus on cost consciousness by including a costs-benefits analysis (a consideration of impact on revenues and costs) in activities and deliverables
- Participates actively and frequently in mass canvassing and other community engagement activities
What You Should Have
- Ideal candidates should have experience managing multiple projects concurrently, identifying business challenges through data and observation, creating solutions for these issues, and overseeing an operational programme.
- They should be proficient analysing and managing large amounts of data and comfortable working closely with different departments and teams.
- Experience bringing ideas and programmes to scale, working at similar ambitious start-up companies, or building and managing teams across countries is an added plus.
- Experience in developing and presenting reports to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience managing a team
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Masters preferred
- Minimum 7 years work experience required.
● A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
● A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
● A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
● A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
● A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
● A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.