Program Managing Director
Program Managing Director
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
The education crisis is one that requires urgent, collective, and concrete action to surmount. While Nigeria is said to have the largest number of out of school children in the world, the education crisis is not just about out of school children, but also about children who are in school and not learning. In Sub Saharan Africa, statistics say that 88% or almost 9 out of 10 children and adolescents will not be able to read proficiently by the time they are of age to complete primary and lower secondary Education. With Nigeria being the most populous country in Sub Saharan Africa, this crisis impacts us most.
Bridge started operations in Nigeria in 2015, opening its affordable private nursery and primary schools targeted at providing life changing education for families living in low-income areas of Lagos State in parts of Ikorodu, Alimosho, Badagry, Ojo, Epe, and other local government areas. In 2017, Bridge further expanded its reach to the most marginalized and vulnerable communities by partnering with the Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) and the State of Borno to set up a public school serving out-of-school children and children from internally displaced communities. In 2018, Bridge became technical partners to the Edo State government in its implementation of the Edo State Basic Education Sector Transformation program to reform its public primary and nursery school system.
Today, Bridge works with both communities and governments to ensure hundreds of thousands of children have access to either a well-run, high achieving affordable private or free public school so that the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 4 of Quality Education becomes a reality for the millions of children in Nigeria quickly. You will join a group of Nigerians taking concrete action to help address the education crisis in Nigeria and ensure a better future for the children of Nigeria.
About the Role
The Program Managing Director is responsible for providing overall leadership management and general technical direction of the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components, functions and stakeholders, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the contract. You will be responsible for leading and overseeing the development, delivery and day-to-day management of a high quality, innovative, cost effective and sustainable Education program resulting in immediate and lasting change for children and build the capacity of the duty bearers.
This is a highly hands-on job, involving intense program management, broad technical knowledge covering financial management, supply chain, government relations and school operations management. For this role, we need someone who has the experience of managing highly complex and large programs with a lean team coupled with a deep passion for Bridge’s mission. Leadership, humility and self-awareness are a must to be successful. This is an incredibly fast-paced and absorbing role that will ask a lot of you but it will also be personally rewarding in that you will see the impact of your efforts first hand.
What You Will Do
- Be the primary liaison with the designated Ministry of Education or State Universal Basic Education Board chairman and his or her representatives, responding to client needs within the limits of the arrangement
- Lead and manage the program team – providing the vision, day-to-day coordination, resource management, and supervision required to accomplish project objectives and to deliver superior quality products
- Ensure quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided, including necessary adjustments to operations to fit the requirements of Bridge
- Identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate program adjustments
- Ensure the technical and methodological soundness of activities and, in collaboration with the program team and other Bridge function heads
- Collaborate with colleagues to solve problems and build a learning environment within the organization.
- Responsible for on or under budget delivery of all aspects of the programme.
What You Should Have
- Master’s degree in public policy, education, or related field in social sciences.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience working in project management and design in developing countries, preferably including experience in the state to which you will be assigned.
- At least five (5) years of management experience, including direct supervision of professional and support staff and assembling teams working in multi-faceted roles including field based roles
- Prior experience within a fast-paced, metric driven consulting or educational organization will be an advantage
- Strong management skills, leadership qualities, professional reputation, ability to build or access key contacts within the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) or equivalent local and state regulatory bodies
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors, consortium members and other stakeholders, at national and sub-national levels.
- Respect and sensitivity towards cultural, gender, ethnicity and religious diversity
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with high ranking official of government institutions, international institutions and non- government institutions
- Demonstrated excellent communications and writing abilities and superior interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in building Ministry of Education and devolved structures capacity in developing and realizing education strategic plans to provide quality Education services is a plus
- Passion for Bridge’s vision of democratizing the right for all children to succeed
● A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
● A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
● A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
● A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
● A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
● A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.