SQL Server DBA
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
IT Operations Department, Technology Group
IT Operations at Bridge is responsible for last mile delivery of technology, ensuring that everyone at Bridge, from school staff to executives, all have the functioning technology they need to excel at their jobs. It also oversees the technical infrastructure that supports and connects all of Bridge's global offices, as well as the back-office systems that power our customer care centres, finance teams, warehouses, and more.
Within the technology group, IT Operations also holds the distinction of being the only department with a dedicated presence in each of our operating territories, meaning that is also the key conduit and primary advocate for all aspects of technology at Bridge, ensuring the work done by the other technology departments delivers on its potential.
About the Role
This role will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of Bridge’s applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring strong technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
The successful candidate will provide scalability, high availability, migration, and consolidation expertise on the Microsoft SQL Server platform
This person will report to the Director, IT Operations, and will have regular contact with the Director, Software Development.
What You Will Do
- Ensure database uptime, performance, and overall health of all SQL Servers, as well as supporting systems and infrastructure
- Establish and promote a culture of automation, monitoring, and continuous delivery - you believe more in the power of repeatability and consistency than in one-off fixes
- Find and fix database availability and performance issues before they’re reported by users
- Plan and implement major upgrades, ensuring system integrity and monitoring
- Troubleshoot issues applying service packs and patches
- Perform database performance tuning, helping to optimise queries and stored procedures, CPU/memory monitoring, and database I/O, using native, commercial, and custom-built tools
- Own database maintenance plans, including rebuilding/reorganising indexes, integrity checks, and others
- Ensure business continuity at the database layer by managing and monitoring backups, restores, and recovery. You will advocate for appropriate failover models
- Troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Manage and monitor data replication and linked servers
- Define and enforce database security best practices, including both user access and data at rest
- Coordinate with the Business Intelligence department to identify future needs and requirements
- Bachelor's degree with excellent academic performance
- 10+ years of enterprise database administration experience, with a proven work experience as a DBA Architect with Microsoft SQL Server and familiar with version of SQL Server from 2008 to 2016 (and beyond)
- Proficiency with SQL Management Studio, Enterprise Manager, Query Analyser, Profiler
- Experience in administering large-scale (20x0 GB to multi-terabyte) database architectures
- Understanding of the SQL Server architecture at a 400 level
- Strong exposure with performance optimization and tuning with database applications
- Detailed understanding of database structure principles
- Experience gathering and analyzing system requirements
- Knowledge of data mining and segmentation techniques
- Ability to communicate technical scenarios at both a high-level and detail level, as is required by the audience
- Ability to work well with aggressive deadlines and minimal supervision
- Flexibility to respond to the changing needs of the business
- Ability to prioritise and carry out multiple tasks
- Fast learner, energetic, and enthusiastic
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust