Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model - which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies - is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage. We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
We work across Kenya and Uganda to improve learning for underserved communities. Kenya was where we launched our social enterprise, opening our first school in 2009. We began partnering with the government, communities, teachers and parents to improve education in Kenya. We also run a range of affordable schools across Uganda, working closely with the Ministry for Education and Sports to help improve education outcomes. We’re data driven and our models adapt to the needs of individual governments. We’re flexible wherever we can serve more marginalized communities and improve learning outcomes for children.
The Finance Department at Bridge partners with country and global leadership to achieve financial sustainability of our operations and make our mission come true. We provide strategic partnership to global leadership on raising capital and actionable feedback on our financial performance. We are continually focused on judicious use of resources whether for each one of our territories or for the entire organization.
Across our rapidly scaling multi-unit enterprise, we provide leadership to build a world-class financial infrastructure. This includes the design and development of financial systems, policies, procedures (taking into account current and fast growing high volume transactions, teams, numbers of geographically distributed business units) and provision of shared services for financial operations by a centralized team specializing in Accounting, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Treasury and Financial Planning & Analysis.
About the Role
The Officer, Finance plays a critical part of the daily financial life of all Support office functions by ensuring that there is a constant link between the Kenya office and the Finance Service Centre in India. The role ensures the smooth running of financial aspects of the business from recording pupil receipts to receipt of payment, managing payments, compliance to preparation of management reports.
What You Will Do
- Think strategically and proactively about Bridge International Academies’ financial direction.
- Review and approve journals entries and adjustments prepared by Finance Shared Service team before they are posted into the accounting system.
- Uploading fees payment in pupils accounts and reconciling back to bank statements daily.
- Resolution of pupils’ accounts issues on a timely basis and recommending improvements to the process to avoid recurrence.
- Work with Revenue Assurance team and ensure revenue reconciliation between systems and its completeness.
- Ensure that academy leases are renewed on time.
- Reviewing payments requests from Finance shared Service team before approval by Director, Finance.
- Responsible for maintaining and reporting on all academy repairs, actual spend and budget.
- Management of general ledger accounts and ensuring that all postings are correctly captured department wise.
- Drive financial period closing, preparation of monthly financial statements, reconciliations, reports and management notes with the Finance Shared Service.
- Preparation of Finance weekly dashboard.
- Coordinate stock taking on a quarterly basis and reconciliation between actual inventory held and the Inventory ledger, investigating any variances and recommending action.
- Compiling Fixed assets listing for Insurance purposes, ensuring that additions and deletions are done on time in the accounting system and communicated to insurance company for adjustment.
- Coordinating the raising of insurance claims and following up to ensure timely closure.
- Filing of VAT & WHT returns on monthly basis and ensure payments are made on time when due.
- Ensure timely payment of payroll statutory and other deductions, for example PAYE, NSSF NHIF, Sacco etc. and filing of returns where required by Finance Shared Service.
- Assist the Director, Finance in managing statutory audit by ensuring that schedules are prepared on time, audit queries resolved timely in order to mitigate audit overruns.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You Should Have
- A degree in Accounts, Finance, Economics or a related field
- CPA K with excellent academic record
- At least 4 years’ relevant work experience in investment banking or corporate finance/accounting; should be used to highly rigorous, complex financial analysis
- Understanding and use of a well-run purchasing and Accounts payable process
- Understanding of the tax requirements for payments made
- Excellent excel skills and proficiency with Microsoft Dynamics (Navision)
- Experience working closely with a company to build financial and operating models at a deep level, particularly on a multi-country level.
- Extraordinary attention to detail and highly driven, ambitious attitude towards work.
- Strategic financial thinker with an eye for identifying metrics that matter for a business.
- Ability to relate well with both internal and external customers and work in teams.
- Have a positive approach to ensuring complete customer satisfaction.
- Highly innovative, with excellent analytical skills and ability to meet strict deadlines.
- High integrity, IT literacy and excellent attention to details
- Ability to plan, manage own workload in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Proactive and self-motivated with excellent communication skills
- Confident and flexible team player with great ability to work closely with non-finance team members within a multicultural environment.
- A detailed doer - You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver - Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate - The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner - You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker - When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator - You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions - and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.