Vice President, Operations
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
The schools run by Bridge, have to operate in the most efficient and effective way possible to enable us provide life changing education that is affordable to families living below the poverty line, and to governments with limited resources. This means there is no room for waste and inefficiencies. The Operations Team is responsible for the design, execution and management of the entire sequence of processes required to service the activities of each school, and for providing that support at scale in the most cost efficient and effective way possible. Operations is the nerve centre of the company and is the interface that brings all school-level support functions together. Our mission is to provide a better service for our parents and governments, a better experience for our employees, and a stable platform on which we continue to scale our work.
About the Role
The Vice President, Operations is responsible for providing overall leadership to the Operations teams in territory, the design and coordination of all systems, processes and data capture, and overseeing the execution, management and innovation of the Customer Care call centre (our support hub), Quality Assurance, and Supply Chain functions.
This is a job for someone who has the ability to drive and demand operational excellence from large and diverse teams, while having a creative and agile approach to problem solving, a data-driven systems orientation to complex problems, and most importantly, a passion and relentless focus on parent satisfaction.
Previous experience in startup environments, or large-scale multi-unit retail environment with a culture of total focus on customer satisfaction is a major advantage, as is work in a fast-paced data-driven, systems-oriented culture.
The role is based in our Nairobi office, supporting all operating markets and support offices across the globe.
What You Will Do
● Provide leadership for our Operations teams and build an environment of operational excellence.
● Design highly-structured, insightful processes, and systems with a data-driven approach to optimize every aspect of the operations of our schools and the associated central office support.
● Develop and oversee execution of standard operating procedures to support our expansion into new markets and stand up operations in a new territory.
● Identify opportunities to increase efficiencies and reduce costs in territories by centralizing select processes/functions in a shared services environment e.g. Customer Care.
● Support the implementation of best-practice and standards to all our countries and ensure that our academy and central support operations are architected for growth, cost effectiveness, and operational excellence.
● Work with various internal stakeholders (Territory Managing Directors and Territory Operations Directors) to develop standard operating procedures for managing territory operations, measuring progress and adjusting processes to optimize for efficiencies.
What You Should Have
● Bachelor’s degree required. MBA is preferred
● Minimum of 10 years of experience within Operations functions
● Minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior level managerial level role is required.
● Experience managing a multi-unit retail environment
● Experience developing and managing a culture of total focus on customer satisfaction
● Work experience drastically improving the productivity and reducing cost of a product or service
● Work experience managing and coordinating several teams to deliver on a tight schedule
● Work experience in emerging markets
● Record of building data-driven operational systems
● Ability to discuss a wide range of topics from business strategy to the tactical execution of the strategy
● Excellent organizational, leadership, analytical problem solving and strategic thinking skills
● Ability to build cross-functional partnerships and engage in and lead cross-functional teams and initiatives
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with dynamic priorities and demands
● A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
● A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
● A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
● A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
● A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
● A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.