Leadership and Development Supervisor
Who We Are
Bridge 智慧教学 (Bridge Intelligent Teaching and Learning) is a program of the Bridge International Academies. Bridge 智慧教学 is a program to support teachers and increase learning in China.
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Bridge 智慧教学 is a program serving Guiyang City, ensuring that primary and middle school teachers have robust multi-media supplementary support, and use progressive, child-centered classroom management techniques. Data from daily lesson delivery and student assessments informs on-going supplementary material design and professional development content. This program is integrated in government schools, supporting the government to ensure equity in education for all children. Started in 2018, Bridge 智慧教学 is in its first year, building the foundational team for growth that will support and lead the organization over the next 5 years and beyond.
The objective of the Academics group is to drive student achievement. To do so, we must know -- what is happening minute-by-minute for the typical child?
The student’s daily experience, and thus the path to achievement, emerges from their relationship with the teachers and the content that is delivered in the classroom; thus, our team is collaboratively organized around these levers.
We develop rigorous content pitched at the right level for students to be delivered by a teacher who is prepared to use them in the classroom.
Our Instructional Design department builds the content; our Leadership & Development department trains teachers and school leaders using scientifically-proven techniques; our Learning Innovation department looks at cutting-edge research to generate breakthrough learning gains.
Underpinning all of this is the work of the independent Measurement and Evaluation group, which provides Academics with an empirical orientation toward improving that daily experience and, in turn, driving achievement.
Leadership & Development Department, Academics Group
The Leadership & Development Department is responsible for the professional development of all school staff, including teachers and school leaders. Within L&D we design the core content for all professional development sessions, including intensive residential programs of 3 days to 3 weeks, as well as ongoing professional development that may happen in person, online, or through other channels. We also have leaders in the field who engage with school leaders and teachers every day, ensuring ongoing professional development, performance management, and intensive coaching. We are always seeking effective ways of ensuring every adult in every school is supported with data-driven practices, and supported to become a leader and mentor to the children they serve. We measure our success through the learning outcomes of the children in the classroom, and overall classroom and school management strength. We are performance driven.
About the Role
Each Leadership & Development Supervisor is responsible for the professional development, including ongoing performance management of school staff. As a L&D Supervisor, you are in schools each day, providing ongoing mentorship, specific performance feedback, and on-going group and personal training. In this role, you also engage with all stakeholders of the schools under your care, including government officials, parents, and community groups as may be required. Your role is the nexus of all that we do, ensuring the implementation and results of our overall programing, integrating instructional design and technology. Using big data that provides a visibility into every day teaching practices and school management, you work with school staff to improve performance – with the goal of student performance and character development in mind – and provide feedback on core programming to our design teams.
This team is laser focused on outcomes, inherently collaborative in nature, loves fostering leadership in others, is unwaveringly committed to ensuring a quality education for our pupils, and is excited about creating incredible learning interventions that drive positive behavior and mindset change in adults. You will flourish on this team if you are: a team player, hyper-focused on results, flexible in a dynamic environment, and have fun while working hard.
What You Will Do
- Use data from multiple sources, including your own classroom observations and school management observations, quality assurance audits, and big data on school staff behavior, to lead school staff to improve their practice, with an unwavering eye to student learning and holistic development.
- Use data from multiple sources to ensure effective department management, and a safe learning environment.
- Be in schools 80% time, observing teaching, observing department management, and engaging with stakeholders, including government officials, parents, and community groups as needed.
- When observing or holding meetings, using rubrics or other documents to support structured observation and reporting.
- Support specific school events, including collaborating on programming for such events as school opening celebrations and school closing celebrations, as well as community showcases.
- Ensure school staff and students are prepared to sit in government-proctored exams, as they may occur on a termly/semester basis, and with particular attention to national examinations.
- Lead leadership & development sessions during the course of the school year, or during induction training for new staff, as may be needed.
- Other duties as assigned
What You Should Have
- Proven leadership experience, leading teams of people to accomplish an objective
- Experience in mentorship and coaching of youth and adults, either inside or outside of a school setting
- Teaching experience a plus
- Belief in data-drive decision making
- Relentless focus on achievement for yourself and others
- Bias towards action
- Flexible and loves to work in a dynamic environment
- Collaborative leader with strong relationship building skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- B.S. or M.A.
- Experience working in the education or community organization sector in China
- Be fluent in Mandarin and English
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network in Nigeria from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.