Lead .net Engineer
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Software Development Department, Technology Group
The software development department handles all aspects of delivery related to our custom software applications and services - everything that it takes to turn an idea into working software and delivering value to our users. The department is structured into cross-functional, self-organising teams that work together on projects, short and long, alongside product designers and key business stakeholders.
About the Role
Technology at Bridge is a highly complex, vertically-integrated affair, with systems supporting an ever expanding range of functions and countries, and crossing between software development, IT operations, academy operations, and logistics/supply chain. At the same time, our teams run lean and things change fast – governments make policy decisions that affect us, launching new countries is a frenetic affair, and we still need to evolve our core technology offering.
We are looking for a full time Lead Full-Stack Engineer, Software Development to join our new Hyderabad-based cross-functional software development team, which will participate in building the software that powers and improves efficiency to enhance our competitive advantage. This person should be familiar with design and implementation issues specific to a data driven, highly scalable environments and be able to handle such issues with flexibility and ingenuity. The ideal candidate will have a strong customer focus, a proven track record of delivering high-quality products in a continuous delivery environment, and an appreciation for clean and simple code. Bridge especially values “T-shaped” team members – individuals with deep expertise in particular areas, but comfortable working across all parts of the technology stack.
What You Will Do
- Oversee the technical design and architecture associated with delivery projects
- Design, implement, and support new products and features
- Analyse and improve the software architecture with a focus on maintainability and scalability
- Mentor and guide junior engineers, including performing code reviews and pair programming
- Collaborate with project sponsors and product designers to elaborate requirements and facilitate trade-offs that maximise customer value
- Work with product and development teams to establish overall technical direction and product strategy
What You Should Have
- A BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field
- 8+ years of enterprise software development experience
- Comfort recommending and advocating for enterprise architectural best practices for highly-available, scalable, and reliable implementations; but also the experience to take on technical debt where appropriate
- Direct experience integrating off-the-shelf and custom built software, and understand the tradeoffs between building and buying software
- Enterprise-level experience with continuous delivery practices and tools (e.g Jenkins, Bamboo, GoCD)
- Proficiency in test-driven development (TDD) and/or behaviour driven development (BDD) is required
- Expertise in four or more of the following areas and interested in learning about the rest:
- C#/.NET, esp. dotnet core
- Java (Android)
- Web services and API design, including associated tech (Swagger, contract testing)
- Cloud environments (esp. AWS)
- Highly scalable architectures (e.g. CQRS/ES, circuit breakers, messaging, etc.)
- Monitoring (e.g. E.L.K., Nagios, NewRelic, Riverbed)
- System security and identity management (e.g. OWASP, OAuth)
- Infrastructure-as-Code (e.g. Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Docker, boxstarter, chocolatey/WinRM/powershell)
- MS SQL Server/T-SQL (but also EF, Dapper, etc.)
- Experience in a lean delivery environment and understand not only the mechanics, but also the underlying motivations
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm and the bar for quality is set high
- Interest in open source projects – familiarity with OSS projects is a plus; contributions to open source projects is a big plus
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust