Manager, Talent Acquisition
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
People are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our schools to the software developers building our tech platform – and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth. We are the champions of Bridge culture. We find passionate change-makers across rural communities, informal settlements and global cities who want to lead the movement to reform public education. We help them grow through continuous learning, strong focus on performance and extensive collaboration. We rely on technology to engage with, innovate for and serve thousands of our people spread across multiple time-zones. We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
The Talent Acquisition team is our agency for bringing together purpose-driven, inspirational talent from diverse backgrounds to lead the Bridge movement in our support offices and schools. We believe in attracting such talent before they find out about us! Our process encourages candidates to experience a slice of Bridge life. They get to meet Bridge leaders, visit our schools and engage with our pupils, parents and teachers. We own their welcome to Bridge when they join us and work towards ensuring a great onboarding. We also work closely with the People Operations team to help our internal talent grow by having a strong internal hiring process. Our north star is to find the best possible talent for every open role as quickly as we can, ensuring excellence in candidate experience and in employee onboarding and induction.
About the Role
We are looking for individuals who possess the ability to develop an international talent network that can keep pace with Bridge’s’ tremendous growth and build a strong employer brand that will attract the best and brightest in business to join us in Africa, India, our support offices and other new territories.
As the Talent Acquisition Manager for Bridge, you will have the opportunity to join a fast-scaling global startup and shape the organization by developing a highly effective talent pipeline for all shared services hires that support work across the globe, in Groups and Departments as diverse as People, Technology, Instructional Design, Measurement and Evaluation, Customer Insight, Public Relations, and Policy & Partnerships. In addition to shared services teams in the US, UK, Kenya, and India, we have or are building operational offices in Liberia, Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, India, Pakistan, and China. Our geographic scope is large, and exciting. Your immediate focus on joining will be to hire for our Academics group as they expand across our existing offices and new territories.
You will also build and maintain relationships with recruiters, academic and professional groups, and with a wider audience through use of social media and other targeted outreach to key audiences. This would include coordination of on-campus recruiting, job fairs, conferences, and other opportunities within USA to connect with audiences interested in how to ensure that every child has her full potential developed through an excellent school, even in the most trying of circumstances.
The ideal candidate will have a strong ability to multi-task and take ownership of the current talent acquisition process from the get-go. You must be comfortable evaluating process and creating new ones, thriving in idea generation and execution. You’re an extremely effective communicator, both written and verbal, and are energized by interacting with people, building relationships, and networking. These things come naturally to you and are what you crave in your working life. A keen sense of ownership, speedy execution, and scrappiness is a must.
You will be based at our office in Cambridge, USA. You will report into our Chief Academic Officer and the Talent Acquisition Director for People shared services.
What You Will Do
Initial focus will be to:
- Headhunt new team members for the shared services Academics group, from entry-level to senior leadership
- Collaborate with existing senior leadership for the Academics group to foster a deep understanding of the work in order to better identify the ideal candidates
- Expand Academics presence in our offices around the globe - Cambridge, Hyderabad, Nairobi, Lagos, and more, traveling when the need arises
- Help launch brand new teams into existence for a growing shared services Academics group to better support our operating country counterparts
- Identify strategies for accessing talent pools in any new territory we expand to
- Establish strong networks in all of our operating territories
- Work alongside the Cambridge-based People Manager, as the two representatives of the People Group in the office, helping with office events and covering responsibilities when one or the other is on leave
When we have resolved urgent, immediate business needs for hiring with respect to the Academics group, there will be an opportunity to expand your focus to other groups and departments whose senior leadership are based in the US.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor’s degree with superior academic performance
- 4+ years recruiting experience
- Should have at least 2+ years hiring senior leaders
- Experience with establishing, maintaining, and leveraging relationships with senior leadership at partner companies
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong networking skills
- Should be persuasive with strong skills to pitch an idea/brand/purpose
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.