Manager, IT Operations
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
IT Operations Department, Technology Group
IT Operations at Bridge is responsible for last mile delivery of technology, ensuring that everyone at Bridge, from school staff to executives, all have the functioning technology they need to excel at their jobs. It also oversees the technical infrastructure that supports and connects all of Bridge's global offices, as well as the back-office systems that power our customer care centres, finance teams, warehouses, and more.
Within the technology group, IT Operations also holds the distinction of being the only department with a dedicated presence in each of our operating territories, meaning that is also the key conduit and primary advocate for all aspects of technology at Bridge, ensuring the work done by the other technology departments delivers on its potential.
About the Role
The Manager of IT Operations plans, organises, and manages staff and overall operations to ensure the stable operation of Global IT Service Desk. This includes developing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing key functional areas including: Service Desk, Service Monitoring, business continuity, telecommunication, audio/video systems, and level 2 of business application services. And more!
The person is responsible for the operations and support of the IT Service Management (ITSM) program for Bridge. He/She will lead the strategy and delivery of the core principles of ITSM service management. This person collaborates with architects and engineers from other disciplines to ensure the best service management practices and delivery for the enterprise. This individual will lead the global L2 and Incident Management team, directing the resolution of complex technical problems to ensure the success of IT Operations. All duties will be in accordance with ITIL and ITSM best practices and procedures.
The person will steer technical support activities across all regions globally in cooperation with the local service teams.
You will report to the Director of IT Operations and will collaborate with regional teams in a global matrix organization to help deliver amazing learning gains to all our families.
What You Will Do
- Create, manage and maintain service desk process and ensure that standards are followed. This includes creating a strategy for a global support organization, building the organization, creating respective policies and implementing them, and consolidating support work from regional offices to global service desk.
- Manage and lead the end-to-end ITSM service (operational, tactical, and strategic)
- Identify and implement ITIL best practices that will be adopted by the organization
- Define Incident Management processes and procedures and ensure effective implementation and governance
- Define and lead the processes for Problem Management in the resolution of complex problems
- Define, develop and manage KPIs through process compliance, dashboards and vendor engagement
- Monitor critical and high priority incidents to ensure the Service Level Agreements are met
- Drive continuous process improvement
- Own the overall quality of the process and oversee the management and compliance of those processes
- Service management - all of the above - for both our Custom Software, as well as our Enterprise Application portfolio.
- Support internal/external audits and regulatory compliance initiatives
- Lead and develop the shared services L2 teams, including recommending and advising on team structure and hiring
- 10+ years experience running an IT Operations function in medium to large corporations, with specialization in Service Management, back-office systems including Operations, ITSM, Service Desk and infrastructure
- Experience in Service Management using ITIL, ITSM framework, Vendor and SLA Management., handling incidents, crisis management, troubleshooting techniques, root cause analysis and change management
- ITIL Certification looked upon favourably
- Strong orientation to Technology Service Desk Operational prerequisite, e.g. Metrics, KPIs, and associated reporting
- A data-driven perspective, understanding the importance of reliable tracking and measurements in the context of continuous improvement
- Comfort as both a hands-on individual contributor and a leader who can drive the efforts of several teams
- A keen sense of ownership, speedy execution, and scrappiness
- Experience as a project manager, capable of creating effective delivery strategies and managing priorities in a fluid and dynamic environment, including a strong ability to multi-task and take ownership of the current IT processes from the get-go
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours, as well as the ability to work under broad direction and minimal supervision
- Extremely effective communication skills, both written and verbal, and are energised by interacting with people and building relationships
- Bachelor's degree with superior academic performance
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust