Officer, People Operations
Officer, People Operations
Lagos & Osun, Nigeria
Bridge Nigeria is a life-changing community school program. It is one of four community school programmes run as part of NewGlobe’s education portfolio.
Bridge Nigeria opened its doors in 2015, with affordable education targeted at providing life changing education for families living in low-income areas of Lagos State in parts of Ikorodu, Alimosho, Badagry, Ojo, Epe, and other local government areas.
The UK’s Department for International Development (DFID) initially contracted us as part of the Developing Effective Private Education Nigeria (DEEPEN) programme. Now, Bridge Nigeria partners with communities, parents, and teachers to deliver life-changing education and provide a gateway to success for underserved families. Since 2019, our national (CEE) exam results have continued to prove academic excellence. Our community school graduates have gone to top secondary schools.
Our people are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our schools to the software developers building our tech platform – and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth. We are the champions of Bridge Nigeria culture. We find passionate change-makers across rural communities, informal settlements and global cities who want to lead the movement to reform public education. We help them grow through continuous learning, strong focus on performance and extensive collaboration. We rely on technology to engage with, innovate for and serve thousands of our people spread across multiple time-zones. We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
People Operations Department
The People Operations team provides operational support to every employee during their journey with Bridge Nigeria. Our north star is to achieve excellence in an employee’s experience of Bridge, Nigeria, their authentic engagement with Bridge Nigeria mission and for both to result in improved learning outcomes for our pupils. We own a diverse portfolio of touchpoints between any employee and Bridge Nigeria and these range from: rolling out contracts, benefits management, placing teachers and school leaders in vacancies that arise from time to time, leading performance management and talent development initiatives, resolving conflict arising due to disciplinary reasons, grievances or other complaints and, provide accurate payroll inputs every month.
We provide this support at scale, relying heavily on Technology, for the thousands of our employees with diverse backgrounds, spread across multiple locations, all working to bring life-changing education for our pupils. We work with large amounts of data which we use to gain better insight into employee behaviour and how we can collaborate with them to achieve our north star.
About the Role
The Officer, People Operations role is a generalist position that operates at the front lines of Human Resources at Bridge Nigeria. The ideal candidate should exceptionally possess high attention to detail, a strong work ethic, and ability to manage multiple workflows and projects simultaneously. You are level-headed, disciplined, and thoroughly understand that HR must protect the Company’s interests and policies and guide employees through their career life-cycles at Bridge Nigeria at the same time. You have a very good understanding of HR best practices and employment/ labour law frameworks in Nigeria and are certified by the CIPM or its equivalent. Last but not least – you are a gritty, never-say-die doer who relishes challenges
What You Will Do
- Separations Process: lead separations processes, including department, asset, and financial handovers - involves IT, Admin, and Payroll Accountant.
- Onboarding Process: lead teams from IT, Admin, etc. in ensuring that staff are successfully on boarded
- Payroll Verification: work with Payroll Accountant to ensure that all contractors and employees are properly represented with the right deductions/additions, if any. Generate monthly report for managers on headcount.
- Understand the business and specific operations that generate payroll data, tracking and reporting payroll inputs and outputs into the Navision system
- Review existing payroll systems, documentation and procedures and build improved systems to cope with increasing staff levels across the country.
- Set up clear and well developed payroll data, control and process cycles that will guarantee accuracy, confidentiality, timeliness and audit trails of payroll functions and reports
- Serving as key control review point for all items entering the payroll system and ensure appropriate allocation of payroll costs to departments for analysis and reporting purposes
- Development of tailor made reports and analysis within the Navision payroll module and account schedules and dimensions in line with standard and non-routine demands of the finance and non-finance team leaders
- Observe and monitor compliance to weekly and monthly payroll cycles and strict deadlines
- Preparation of monthly payroll related statutory returns assuring compliance to all monthly, quarterly and annual reporting, payments and submission deadlines
- Lead the preparation of payroll audit files for compliance, internal and external audits
- Reconcile payroll control accounts on a timely basis
- Attend to staff queries and reporting needs of payroll services within standard confidentiality limits
- Build appropriate tools to ensure smooth payroll operations even with high growth of staff and consequent transactions payroll service demand from the business
- Staff Benefits: supporting staff with questions about health coverage, managing additions to coverage, dealing with other health coverage issues
- Asset Management: ensure that all staff have the assets they need; deal with asset recovery processes and exchanges/one-off needs. Heavy interfacing with IT and Admin
- Leave Management: assist employees with leave, generate monthly report for managers on leave balances
- Disciplinary Procedures: work with the People Ops. Director on managing these procedures
- Appeals, Grievances, Investigations: lead these processes with some direction from the People Ops. Manager.
- Staff Documentation: ensuring that offer letters, contracts, probation confirmations, and change of status documents are appropriately handled
What You Should Have
- Strong adherence to systems and process
- Experience working with a culturally and socioeconomically diverse workforce
- Minimum of four years of full-time work experience in Human Resources
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office; technologically competent/quick learner
- Work experience in fast-growth, rapid-scale contexts, particularly with large numbers of field staff
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- High energy and enthusiasm level; willingness to do whatever necessary to get the job done
- Microsoft Dynamics NAV experience preferred
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably with Business Administration and/or Human Resources course specialization, with exemplary academic performance
- CIPM certified (or it's recognized equivalent)
● A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
● A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
● A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
● A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
● A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
● A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.