Manager, Talent Acquisition
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data-driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model - which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies - is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
We work across Kenya and Uganda to improve learning for underserved communities. Kenya was where we launched our social enterprise, opening our first school in 2009. We began partnering with the government, communities, teachers and parents to improve education in Kenya. We run a range of affordable schools across Uganda, working closely with the Ministry for Education and Sports to help improve education outcomes. We’re data driven and our models adapt to the needs of individual governments. We’re flexible wherever we can serve more marginalized communities and improve learning outcomes for children.
People are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our schools to the software developers building our tech platform - and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth. We are the champions of Bridge culture. We find passionate change-makers across rural communities, informal settlements and global cities who want to lead the movement to reform public education. We help them grow through continuous learning, strong focus on performance and extensive collaboration. We rely on technology to engage with, innovate for and serve thousands of our people spread across multiple time-zones. We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
Talent Acquisition, People
The Talent Acquisition team is our agency for bringing together purpose-driven, inspirational talent from diverse backgrounds to lead the Bridge movement in our support offices and schools. We believe in attracting such talent before they find out about us! Our process encourages candidates to experience a slice of Bridge life. They get to meet Bridge leaders, visit our schools and engage with our pupils, parents, and teachers. We own their welcome to Bridge when they join us and work towards ensuring a great onboarding. We also work closely with the People Operations team to help our internal talent grow by having a strong internal hiring process. Our north star is to find the best possible talent for every open role as quickly as we can, ensuring excellence in candidate experience and in employee onboarding and induction.
What You Will Do
- Conduct organisational structure review, job design, development of job descriptions and skills requirement.
- Manage relations across businesses by establishing on-going relationships with hiring managers in order to understand their business and recruitment needs and fill their open positions in a timely manner
- Demonstrating an in-depth understanding of the overall business model and driving effective hiring principles
- Creating cohesive and effective partnerships with People Operations Functional Leaders in support of business
- Hiring applicants through job postings, networking, employee referrals, and local job fairs
- Develop and execute effective strategies for sourcing for a variety of positions and develop a continuous pipeline of candidates
- Candidate control - keep in regular contact to review progress and performance
- Review resumes, screen, and interview job applicants to fill all level of job openings
- Coordinate company openings and internally available staff to maximize internal development opportunities
- Schedule interviews with hiring managers
- Perform reference checks and manage the background check process
- Lead salary negotiations with potential hires before sending out an offer
- Track recruiting metrics
- Building an alumni database to create strong referral external pipeline
- Driving campus recruitments to kick start the graduate trainee programs and to build pipeline for entry-level positions
What You Should Have
- Bachelor of Science in business administration, human resources or relevant field
- Proven experience as Talent Acquisition Manager
- Experience in full-cycle recruiting, sourcing and employment branding
- Understanding of all selection methods and techniques
- Proficient in the use of social media and job boards
- Willingness to understand the duties and competencies of different roles
- Working knowledge of Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) and databases
- Excellent communicator
- A leader and strategic thinker
- A detailed doer - You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver - Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate - The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner - You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker - When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator - You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions - and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.