Officer, People Operations
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all. Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage. We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
We work across Kenya and Uganda to improve learning for underserved communities. Kenya was where we launched our social enterprise, opening our first school in 2009. We began partnering with the government, communities, teachers and parents to improve education in Kenya. We run a range of affordable schools across Uganda, working closely with the Ministry for Education and Sports to help improve education outcomes. We’re data driven and our models adapt to the needs of individual governments. We’re flexible wherever we can serve more marginalized communities and improve learning outcomes for children.
People Operations Department
The People Operations team provides operational support to every employee during their journey with Bridge. Our north star is to achieve excellence in an employee’s experience of Bridge, their authentic engagement with Bridge’s mission and for both to result in improved learning outcomes for our pupils. We own a diverse portfolio of touch points between any employee and Bridge and these range from: rolling out contracts, benefits management, placing teachers and school leaders in vacancies that arise from time to time, leading performance management and talent development initiatives, resolving conflict arising due to disciplinary reasons, grievances or other complaints and provide accurate payroll inputs every month.
We provide this support at scale, relying heavily on Technology, for the thousands of our employees with diverse backgrounds, spread across multiple locations, all working to bring life-changing education for our pupils. We work with large amounts of data which we use to gain better insight into employee behavior and how we can collaborate with them to achieve our north star.
About the Role
The Officer, People operations will streamline data management processes across the People Operations department through verification, validation and review of data operations. Additionally, the role will include supporting all teams handling academy staff to automate processes to reduce manual intervention of data and drive user requirements to improve management of information. The flexibility to work outside normal business hours is integral to this role, as is the ability to work under broad direction and minimal supervision.
What You Will Do
- Provide data operations support to the Academy and people Operations team (excel skills will be crucial).
- Clean, upload and analyse data from all the Academy operations in Kenya and Uganda.
- Review Academy operations data to establish candidate qualifications for teacher training.
- Track candidate workflow steps on the various stages candidates are in the academy recruitment and training process.
- Use Google apps for data process automation so as to reduce manual interventions.
- Audit personnel data on Navision versus physical files on an impromptu basis to check on credibility.
- Act as a link between people operations team and software team to communicate new system requests.
- Audit, validate and upload new academy staff details on Navision.
- Conduct ad-hoc data analysis on various People Operations data.
- Drive user requirements and test new workflows and system changes.
- Provide Navision data inquiries and support.
- Report server & portal reviews and link to existing People Operations and Academy reports.
- Assist in payroll related matters, review and provide timely inputs.
- Provide People Operations Annual Audit support.
- Continuously improve existing systems/ processes by being creative and developing dashboards and business requirement documents for system changes.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Degree from a recognized university in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, BBIT or related course
- Must be proficient in using Ms Excel ( advanced Excel skills will be crucial)
- 2-3 years relevant work experience in process design and/or documentation.
- Exposure to systems such as (ERP and Payroll systems) will be an added advantage.
- Data Management and Data Analysis experience is key.
- Experience in MS dynamics Navision a plus (or any other enterprise level ERP system)
- Data analysis skills and knowledge (experience working with data tools such as Excel, Google sheets etc. - both open source and enterprise)
- Experience working with Google Apps to automate processes
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- Analytical thinking and critical analysis skills
- Experience working within a fast-paced environment
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot problems
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.