Senior Software Engineer
Blue Nile is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to help drive full-stack development and technical innovation for our Checkout team. This team primarily focuses on providing the customer with a seamless shopping experience, starting from selecting beautiful diamonds to the final order submission. The checkout path encompasses functionalities such as applying item and order level discounts, issuing and accepting gift certificates, providing various payment choices and specifying shipping addresses, including drop-offs to our physical showrooms as well as FedEx/UPS hold locations. The shopping path also entails the ability for customers to create their own Blue Nile account which allows them to conveniently check on their order status, initiate returns and exchanges and save personal information such as birthdays, anniversaries and personal address information for a faster checkout experience. Sounds like a lot, and it is but at the same time it is really satisfying to us to have that much impact in the technology that influences how customers see and experience Blue Nile. No matter what we're doing, we push for continual improvement, aim to be a good example for the rest of the company to follow, and drive the business forward through the proactive and intelligent use of technology.
Do you have the skills, experience, and most importantly, ideas that we need? Are you the sort of person that brings new ideas to the table every day, mentors and learns from other engineers, and makes a positive impact to everything around them? Do you love delivering features that make the experience better for both customers and future engineers? Do you enjoy seeing your input directly impact company direction and architecture? Do you firmly believe in the value of automating everything, including testing, building, deployment, and business processes? Excellent communication skills, strong ReactJS experience, and a desire to be part of, and help guide, a tightly integrated Scrum team are all required. You will also need to become a subject matter expert in the diamond business and our product life cycle (no prior experience necessary).
Blue Nile is the largest online retailer of certified diamonds, engagement rings and fine jewelry. We embrace a culture of adaptability. Our team is nimble, innovative and resourceful and makes an impact on both the business and each individual customer’s personal experience. We value hard-work, flexibility and curiosity and collaborate to creatively solve problems, constantly improve and implement meaningful changes. Our team celebrates achievements and is inspired by success.
- Architect and deliver maintainable, scalable, stable, reliable, high-quality systems on time, on budget, and in a dynamic production environment.
- Provide technical leadership for design and implementation of new features and next generation software systems.
- Interact directly with internal business areas such as marketing and merchandising to define and clarify specifications, analyze business processes, and define solutions.
- Create, document, and refine agile software development process improvements.
- Perform code and test plan reviews. Take responsibility for the quality of released software.
- Mentor other engineers.
- Passion for doing things right, the first time
- Desire to be a key part of a dynamic, aggressive, and successful business
- Six or more years of professional frontend development
- Strong analysis, communication, and technical leadership skills
- Passion for writing high-quality, well-designed, and tested code
- Experience using, and a strong belief in, Scrum or other agile processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Java web service and web development background, including Spring-boot, REST, JSON, JPA/Hibernate, and design patterns
- Understanding of the relative advantages and disadvantages of relational and NoSQL data stores, and ability to work effectively with both
- Experience with DevOps tools, such as Git, Bamboo, Jenkins, or similar
- Experience with cloud technologies
- Any other new and interesting skills and experience you can bring to the table
What we offer
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Healthcare Coverage
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Paid Vacation
- Competitive Salaries
- Business Allowance
- Employee Discount
- Employee Referral Bonus