Senior Systems Engineer
Blizzard Entertainment does more than games. A lot more goes into the creation of a Blizzard product than the work of game developers. Corporate Applications supports the business by designing, developing, and maintaining internal tools and applications to maximize productivity and efficiency, helping Blizzard deliver epic entertainment.
Blizzard Entertainment Corporate Applications is seeking a talented Senior System Engineer to support the development and production operations of web applications and services. Your primary responsibility will be to setup, configure, and maintain infrastructure and applications.
Typical day-to-day responsibilities include the following:
- Primary support and service provider for Corporate Applications, code repository, and build systems.
- Develop and maintain application middleware stacks such as IIS, Apache, and Tomcat
- Develop and maintain Puppet code to help with automation of deployment and maintenance of all systems under the purview of the Application Support team.
- Provide technical support per requests from various customers and teams. Support requests can come in the form of phone calls, emails, IMs, and Remedy incident tickets.
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues to identify root cause to implement recurrence prevention plans.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted customers via crisis management.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis. Upgrade administrative tools and utilities as needed. Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Develop and maintain installation, design, and configuration procedures and documentation.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated, approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Report on performance to support capacity planning and hardware lifecycle planning.
- Participate in an on-call rotation, providing 24/7 support for all relevant systems during such a rotation.
- Provide guidance to team members on systems-related technologies in the form of consultations, architecture and design proposals, and reviews.
- Follow existing incident, problem, release, crisis, and change management processes as well as provide feedback to improve said processes.
- Participate in handling of issues and tasks with Corporate Applications supported applications.
Qualified candidates generally have at least the following:
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience administering Atlassian applications in a large, multi-methodology organization
An ideal candidate can demonstrate most of the following:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with enterprise systems engineering
- Proficient with Linux OS including hands-on experience with system installation / configuration, file concepts, resource monitoring, package management, and process control /management
- Proficient with Windows Server 2008 and 2012 including hands-on experience with system installation / configuration, file system concepts, resource monitoring, user administration, package management, and process control/management
- Deep understanding of application monitoring and metrics
- Experience using Windows / Linux security best practices
- Expert knowledge with Puppet infrastructure and the ability to write complex Puppet Code
- Knowledge of networking principles and applications / technologies (e.g., TCP / UDP protocols, iSCSI, DNS, DHCP, and GPO services)
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMWare and Hyper-V
- Knowledge of SAN and NAS principles, experience deploying and maintaining various storage solutions
- Knowledge of PowerShell scripting; using scripting to help automate administrative tasks to improve overall team efficiency
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly motivated and self-driven, capable of working with little instruction to resolve demanding tasks, as well as work with internal teams
Having the following can help your application stand out from others:
- Working experience with multiple Atlassian tools, such as JIRA, Confluence, FishEye, etc.
- Experience with Apache / Tomcat configurations, in general and related to Atlassian Products
- Atlassian Certification
- Knowledge of JVM tuning
- Experience with media asset management (MAM) and / or digital asset management (DAM)
- Experience with container technology such as Docker
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code
- Experience with monitoring tools such as New Relic, Solarwinds, Nagios or equivalent
- Certification in Microsoft Technologies (MCSE); Server Infrastructure in particular
- Understanding of ITIL framework and processes
- A passion for video games
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!