Internship Term: 2020
Layout Intern, Cinematics
Greetings, students! We’re geared up here to offer another round of epic internship experiences in 2020. The internship program offers the opportunity to pause your studies for one summer and work side-by-side with Blizzard Entertainment employees in your area of interest, doing real work that oftentimes ends up in production. As such, we hold you to the same high standards as anybody else in the company.
Just like our gameplay experiences, Blizzard internships are a fully immersive experience. We want interns who are enthusiastic about what they want to do for a living and excited to come in every day to learn and contribute in this hyper-creative atmosphere. Being fully engaged with our team also means communicating effectively and maintaining an open mind - one that is receptive to feedback and able to adapt and grow. Your hobbies and interests can also play in your favor. Passion for technology, gaming, game development, and an in-depth knowledge of Blizzard games, products, and services will always be a plus with us, regardless of the position you’re applying for. Be passionate about who you are, be into our industry, and be willing to go all-in and embrace this opportunity to the fullest!
Layout is often described as the "hub" or the "glue" of production.
As a Layout Intern in Blizzard Animation, you will learn how a broad range of artistic and technical processes fit together to form a pipeline from the pre-visualization to the final lighting of our animated shorts.
You will experience how the Layout department adds value by facilitating the reliable flow of artistic work while maintaining continuity from department to department through organization and technical troubleshooting, and by filling in the gaps through artistic set dressing and crowd population.
We’re looking for a motivated aspiring technical artist who’s great at learning new things, enjoys working and communicating with a diverse group of talented people, is energized by solving problems in a fast-paced environment, and who is proactive enough to make mistakes, seek out feedback, and do what it takes to “fail forward.”
- Work with the Layout project leads to assemble 3D scenes, identify issues, communicate with other departments and project leaders, and resolve them
- Perform set dressing and crowd adjustments and improvements as needed
- Learn and utilize a broad range of tools to process artistic work and render the results, identify issues and work with others to troubleshoot and resolve them
- Currently enrolled in a college or university
- Returning for at least one more semester or quarter following the Summer 2020 internship
- Able to work fulltime hours for 11 – 12 weeks at the Blizzard office indicated in this job posting between May 2020 – August 2020 or June 2020 – September 2020 (group dates depend on when you get out of school)
- Authorized to work in the US
- Excellent eye for visual detail
- Exceptional communications skills (oral, written, and listening)
- Unrelenting self-motivation, initiative, and diligence
- Familiarity with animation pipelines
- Experience with Maya or equivalent
- A passion for Blizzard’s mission – what we create and represent
- Experience creating animated shorts, alone or with a team
- Familiarity with additional software used to create animated shorts, such as:
- Production tracking and review tools – Shotgun, RV
- Imaging software – Photoshop, Gimp
- 3D packages – Maya, 3dsMax
- Rendering engines – RenderMan, Redshift
- Compositing software – Nuke, After Effects
- A particular passion for Blizzard games, stories, and worlds
- Cover Letter
- Art Reel / website
WARNING! Applications that do not include all of the required materials will not be considered. We’re serious about this – due to the volume of applications we receive, we only have time to consider complete submittals.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster a deeply collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Submit your application no later than December 2, 2019.