Site Reliability Engineer
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Engineer to join a quickly maturing DevOps engineering culture where everyone is deeply focused on service maturity, live site reliability and modern engineering principles.
We are looking for someone with deep understanding of systems architecture, tempered with knowledge of how applications collaborate with systems at scale. He/She will need to be comfortable with investigating into how the software performs, network traffic flows and service daemons work with one another.
- Work with Program Managers, Software Engineers, and Service Owners to ensure the reliability, availability, and performance of services.
- Own projects and initiatives within the team, providing peers with technical mentorship and direction.
- Participate in service capacity and demand planning/forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning. Tackle problems relating to mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Identifying underlying root causes and provide recommendations or solutions for long term permanent fixes to critical production issues.
- Develop effective documentation, tooling, and alerts to both identify and address reliability risks.
- Participate in on-call rotation with other members of the Site Reliability Engineering team.
- Experience working with Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, with experience with system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols.
- Heavily experienced in distributed systems architectures – layered, event driven, data-centered, service mesh, etc.
- Familiarity with distributed message buses such as Kafka and RabbitMQ.
- The ability to read/write code fluently in any of the following: C, C#, C++, Java, Python, or Go.
- Networking: experience with network theory and protocols, e.g. TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, HTTP, TLS, and load balancing.
- In depth understanding of the Software Development Process; including CI and CD pipeline architecture.
- Understanding of cloud orchestration frameworks, enterprise IT service provisioning tools, and their role in IT transformation.
- Experience with public and private cloud, including OpenStack, AWS, and Google Cloud Platform.
- Familiarity with service configuration and deployment tools, such as Ansible, Consul, Jenkins, Puppet, Terraform, and Vault.
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Real passion for games, and / or game industry experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!