Associate Software Engineer, Audio
Associate Software Engineer, Audio
Well met, student engineers! Blizzard’s University Relations team here, and before we turn this job description over to the Overwatch team to talk about the scope of the role, we’d like to say thanks for your interest and for (hopefully) taking the initiative to apply.
Our New Grad Program is focused on helping you – oh intrepid, graduating student – begin your engineering career in gaming in the most direct way possible. Blizzard’s not an easy place to get into, that’s true, but we believe we’re a studio well worthy of your career. For over twenty years now, employees have established and continue to cultivate a culture built on passion, collaboration, creativity, and fun. Put simply, we legitimately love doing what we do for a living, and we’re proud to offer you an opportunity to do the same. Good luck! And now, over to the Overwatch team.
Members of the Overwatch team are passionate gamers at heart - driven to make the most fun and compelling experiences for our players. We spend our days collaborating and iterating on everything that goes into the game: from placing health packs to dreaming up the craziest “Play of the Game” animations. Our goal is to always surprise and delight our players. We believe in maximum transparency and communication at the team level and with the people who play our game. This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of “Gameplay First” and “Play Nice, Play Fair,” has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has forged a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is extremely important to us.
Our team has an opening for a graduate audio programmer who is passionate about working on game audio. As an audio programmer on Overwatch, you will be working closely with Overwatch’s audio department to bring to life the sounds of the Overwatch universe in game. The ideal candidate would be someone who possesses some knowledge of audio, tools, and game programming and is excited to contribute to the wide range of Overwatch’s audio needs. We have a long list of exciting features just waiting for someone to work on them - maybe that someone is you! Come join us and interact with a welcoming and collaborative group of passionate programmers and audio professionals.
We're looking for a graduate audio programmer who shares our values:
- We take responsibility for delivering our work.
- We collaborate constantly, helping each other to be successful.
- We continuously improve our knowledge, workflows and processes.
- We communicate openly, calling out issues, opportunities, and sharing feedback.
- We have integrity, maintain confidentiality, and share a sense of ownership in our success.
- We have real passion for the game, our players, quality work, and technology.
- Currently enrolled in college or university
- Graduating between December 2018 – August 2019
- Authorized to work in the US
- With guidance, work closely with the audio department serving as an audio programmer on the team.
- Implement and improve features and tools for the audio department.
- Help resolve pipeline and engine issues and discover opportunities for improvement.
- Passion for making and playing games, implementing audio in games, and audio in general.
- Knowledge of a programming language such as C/C++ or C#.
- Strong communications skills, comfortable working with artists and designers.
- Experience developing at least one video game with contribution to audio.
- Experience with Wwise, F-Mod, Miles, or other audio middleware.
- Music and/or Sound design experience - composing/arranging, sound design, synthesis, sampling, MIDI sequencing, audio engineering/mixing, digital audio workstations, etc.
- Programming experience with Perl, Python, or other interpreted language.
- 3D math skills.
- Console programming experience.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!