Senior Cloud Storage Engineer
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an exceptional Senior Cloud Storage Engineer to join our Infrastructure Engineering team in Irvine, CA. Your mission will be to build and support infrastructure which reliably stores and protects the data that powers all of Blizzard’s online games. You are an expert in all aspects of systems and storage engineering: IP and Fibre Channel networking, traditional storage arrays, scale out storage technologies, backup/data protection systems, and the operation and low-level tuning of Linux systems.
Our team is responsible for making sure that every byte of data in our network is always available, protected, and performant, according to our customers’ needs. Our environment is diverse; we have traditional storage arrays providing backing stores for many large databases, as well as scale-out storage systems providing block and object services for Blizzard’s hybrid cloud. As such, you’ll also need expert-level Linux skills to maintain and configure and tune storage software running on commodity server hardware.
Looking to the near future, we see a world where every piece of infrastructure is cloud based, and bare metal servers no longer exist. To enable our developers to build world-class experiences in the cloud, you will apply all the lessons that you've learned while maintaining traditional storage environments and evolve them to apply at scale, leveraging the best of the public cloud providers as well as Blizzard’s private cloud.
If you’d like to join us on our journey to becoming an extraordinary service provider, read on to find out exactly what kind of engineer we’re looking for. We’d love to hear from you!
- Provide analysis, design and direction regarding storage performance and capacity management services for our software defined and traditional storage environments
- Design robust storage and backup solutions to meet demanding organizational and application specific SLAs including, but not limited to, HA, RTO/RPO, offsite requirements and disaster recovery
- Lead and coordinate the engineering phases of storage and backup solution delivery including planning, design, documentation, buildout, testing, procurement, and transition to operational support
- Design the proper solution for the problem, utilizing technologies from both major public cloud providers (AWS, Google) as well as Blizzard’s OpenStack-based private cloud
- Data informed approach. Use comprehensive data and metrics collection on performance and reliability aspects of the systems you were responsible for. You will do most of the heavily lifting for this yourself (integrating with vendor APIs, ETL, visualization, etc) instead of punting to a vendor-provided solution
- A minimum of 5 years of experience supporting storage environments with high IOPS and throughput production workloads
- A minimum of 5 years of experience supporting large scale Linux environments
- A minimum of 2 years of experience designing, implementing and supporting scale out block, object and file storage
- Experience implementing and supporting public cloud services including both Amazon (EC2, ECS, EFS, S3) and Google (GCE, GCS)
- Experience working with containers in a Docker + Kubernetes environment
- A mastery of all things Linux, including design, troubleshooting, and performance tuning. This means: you know WHY things work on a system, and not just how to configure it
- Ability to perform basic network troubleshooting and administrative tasks in a primarily Cisco environment
- Working understanding and ability to support a variety of file and network storage protocols including Fibre Channel, NFS, iSCSI, CIFS, SMB
- Strong DevOps background; able to implement and automate tasks using languages such as Python, Go, and Bash
- Ability to influence colleagues, clearly and concisely explain complex problems, and enjoy collaborating with others
- Experience with OpenStack Swift concepts and fundamentals
- Proficiency with popular orchestration and configuration management systems like Puppet, Ansible, and Terraform
- Experience deploying and supporting enterprise storage arrays
- BS in Computer Science or related IT field
- A passion for making Blizzard games the best in the world!