Director, Global External Events
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a “hands on” visionary leader who will stop at nothing to continue to grow its long tradition of world-renowned events. We are in search of a world-class director, global events who believes in the power of events to engage, entertain, promote, and inform. They must have the creative, strategic, technical, marketing communication, and project management skills to directly conceptualize, design, pre-plan, and execute intimate to massive events. The events must amaze and influence the live audience, as well as global audiences through broadcast. And, the person must also have proven highest-level leadership abilities to empower their team to do the same.
This person will have direct responsibility for Blizzard’s North America events including the live event production of BlizzCon, Blizzard’s popular gaming convention that hosts tens of thousands of gamers from around the world and millions more online each year. The person will also have indirect responsibility for events in other global regions. They will partner with various internal teams including game development, community, marketing, consumer products, PR, esports, IT, and broadcast to skillfully gather, analyze, and distill goals and expectations. They must have the ability to create and communicate a clear vision for an event founded in disciplined communication goals, and then use a process-driven approach to execute the smallest details to the highest standards. They must also have the business acumen to drive long-range product and resource planning guided by high-level strategic planning.
The right candidate’s creative problem-solving skills must be stellar and they, and the team they lead, must be able to work quickly and efficiently, to multitask with a high-volume workload, and to remain productive and positive in high-pressure situations -- Impeccable team organizational and time-management skills are an absolute must.
- Create groundbreaking experiences with a global reach in response to highly-developed strategies and communication objectives.
- Hands-on manage all aspects of events including conceptualizing, designing, pre-planning, and fully executing.
- Provide live event and broadcast creative direction for lighting, scenic/staging, graphics, video content, and other aspects of the production.
- Ensure support of the global broadcast distribution strategy, both in terms of content and technical requirements.
- Manage team’s projects and third party vendors insuring that all events are executed at the highest quality. Proactively plan with internal and external partners to allow adequate time for deliverables. Provide assistance to global offices to insure they do the same.
- Lead team and vendors to tenaciously exceed expectations throughout event conceptualizing, planning, and execution.
- Initiate and maintain productive and positive relationships with stakeholders and leaders across Blizzard.
- Develop, communicate, and guide implementation of event production standards across products and global regions.
- Evaluate team processes and procedures, as well as those of the global events teams, with the goal of improving quality, as well as cost and time efficiencies.
- Actively seek out and maintain knowledge of event design and production globally.
- Define KPIs, track performance, drive post-event analysis, and consistently work to improve results.
- Develop, manage, and reconcile event budgets. Assist with annual departmental budget development.
- Manage event-related contracts and financial agreements.
- Create and distribute event materials such as, but not limited to, event briefs, task sheets, show flows/scripts, site plans, and production schedules to appropriate internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify, vet, and manage vendors that share Blizzard’s expectations for quality, efficiency, and excellence. Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with external vendors and across Blizzard.
- A minimum of 10 years of hands-on experience in event production
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in personnel management
- Exceptional creative and logistical problem-solving skills
- Direct experience with event broadcast, in any of its various forms
- Proven marketing knowledge and acumen
- A passion for video games
- Experience planning events for 1000+ attendees
- Excellent communication skills with a service-oriented attitude
- Impeccable organizational and time-management abilities
- Self-starting with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Exceptional attention to detail, as well as the ability to understand the big picture
- Able to maximize resources and establish key relationships
- Able to act with discretion when handling confidential matters
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
- Portfolio of images for events you were directly responsible for as well as samples of the documents you used to produce and manage the events
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.