Assistant Technical Director
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an experienced programmer to serve as Assistant Technical Director on the World of Warcraft team. As Assistant Technical Director, you will drive multi-disciplinary initiatives that help shape the future of our technology. Additionally, you will partner with leadership to contribute advice and counsel which will shape our engineering direction.
- Work with the technical director, production staff, and other leads to establish engineering tasks and requirements.
- Aid in prioritizing our engineering efforts with the goal of developing technology which best serves teamwide objectives.
- Serve as the point of contact and product owner of multi-disciplinary initiatives.
- Partner with leadership to determine high level direction for the technology behind World of Warcraft.
- Provide critical analysis of technology and development practices with the goal of improving game quality and team efficiency and fostering a positive working environment.
- Serve as an active partner in driving Blizzard Entertainment’s technological vision.
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform assigned tasks and maintain the technological evolution of current and future products.
- Interface with World of Warcraft leadership to ensure that all technology interests and policies are properly represented and maintained through the course of development and that future technology is on track and in development.
- Foster and promote good working relationships with technical partners throughout the company: Battle.Net, BONS/BIIS, Game Team, etc.
- Familiarity with both World of Warcraft systems and content. Ideally, a current (or recent) World of Warcraft player.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in games engineering, preferably with multiple AAA shipped and supported titles.
- Strong ability to partner with leadership from the larger development organization including engineering, production, design, art, sound, QA, and others.
- Strong ability to drive feature development and make decisions that ensure the health of the service and the team.
- Self-starter, proven track record of taking initiative and seeing things through to conclusion.
- Strong programming skills and a proven aptitude for technical design.
- C++ proficiency.
- Experience in the design and implementation of game systems and architectures for MMOs.
- Comfort working within an established code framework as well as building technology from the ground up.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Effective communicator at all levels.
- Ability to collaborate and build consensus among developers, technical and non-technical alike.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, or equivalent degree or experience.
- In-depth familiarity with Blizzard products.