Senior Software Engineer, Server
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and enthusiastic software engineer to join our Hearthstone team in Irvine, California. This engineer will work principally on the server platform of the Hearthstone service as part of a dedicated and player-focused team developing a world-class strategy game, enabling the potential of our developers to create insanely fun content. The ideal candidate will have a passion for writing robust, efficient code, and an understanding of the challenges involved with simulating and scaling a networked client/server game. Blizzard Entertainment offers a fun, creative, and technically challenging environment with excellent compensation and a full range of benefits.
- Collaborate with fellow team members to help design and implement both changes to the existing components of the Hearthstone platform and new systems to support gameplay and feature development.
- Architect systems for performance, stability, and error-free operation.
- Improve and support the live service, while also educating fellow engineers on best practices.
- Mentor and educate engineers on the team.
- 5+ years of experience of server programming
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Database development experience (MySQL, Oracle, etc.)
- Familiar with maintaining a live service
- Self-motivated and willingness to pitch in on many areas of small game development
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Previous experience shipping game titles or other software
- Linux development experience
- Strong relational database skills
- Networking experience in TCP / IP and UDP protocols
- Computer science or related degree
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard?
- What games you are currently playing?
** Only submissions with cover letters will be considered
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!