Senior Previs Artist
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an extraordinarily skilled Senior Previs Artist to assist our Cinematics teams across pre-rendered and in-game cinematics in creating the next generation of our award-winning cinematics. You should have extensive experience previsualizing and supporting the director’s vision through appropriate use of staging, blocking, cameras, lenses, composition, motion, and editing. You are organized and creative, with the ability to solve problems efficiently.
- Create complex, beautifully-composed shots that clearly depict story beats through staging, blocking, camera motion, and character performance.
- Interpret direction into a cohesive vision based on feedback from a director, supervisor, lead, and other creative stakeholders.
- Provide solutions to creative problems and be capable of pitching ideas verbally.
- Communicate clearly with production staff and manage multiple production tasks simultaneously.
- Maintain technical cleanliness in all work. Take personal accountability for deliveries and proactively identify possible technical concerns.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- 5+ years of experience in film / VFX / animation / game production as a previs or rough layout artist working on complex, high fidelity sequences and shots.
- Professional Maya experience. Proficient with animation blocking for previs and familiar with modeling, rigging, shading, etc.
- Strong cinematic knowledge. Instinctively understand cameras, lenses, composition, film language, and editing.
- Experience previsualizing shots from scratch without prior storyboards or visual reference. Ability to verbally pitch ideas clearly and concisely.
- Capable of growing through peer feedback and providing honest, constructive feedback to others.
- Understand the role of previs in production and the workings of linked production departments (modeling, rigging, final layout, animation, etc.).
Pluses and Bonus Skills
- Passion for Blizzard games and cinematics.
- Proficiency shooting with camera capture systems and processing resulting data.
- Capable of shooting well exposed and composed photos / videos in practical photography.
- Professional experience with game development.
- Experience with Python or MEL scripting in Maya.
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter (optional).
- Resume (PDF preferred).
- Demo reel with a connected sequence of shots in digital format (website, blog, online album, Google Drive, etc.).
- Physical media will not be accepted.
Job Status: Fulltime
Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.