Senior Server Networking Engineer - Overwatch 2
Soldiers, scientists, adventurers, oddities…engineers! We are the Overwatch team, passionate gamers at heart, and we’re looking for a new hero to help us make Overwatch 2 - the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based game.
In Overwatch 2, the nations of Earth are under assault. As the omnic forces of Null Sector launch a barrage of surprise attacks around the world, the planet’s governments and militaries prove quickly outmatched—and the remnants of the fearless strike force once known as Overwatch rally to make a valiant stand. Now the world’s heroes must each decide whether to answer the call to reemerge, reunite, and serve as a beacon of hope in a new era of crisis.
We are seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Senior Server Networking Engineer who shares our values:
- We take responsibility for delivering our work
- We collaborate constantly, helping each other to be successful
- We continuously improve our knowledge, workflows and processes
- We communicate openly, calling out issues, opportunities, and sharing feedback
- We have integrity, maintain confidentiality, and share a sense of ownership in our success
- We have passion for the game, our players, quality work, and technology
This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of “Gameplay First” and “Play Nice, Play Fair,” has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has forged a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is extremely important to us.
Our ideal candidate will have a passion for writing robust, efficient code, and a deep understanding of the challenges involved with simulating and scaling a networked client/server game.
- Support and improve the live service, with a focus on performance measurement and optimization
- Work side-by-side with QA, design, production and other specialists to tackle some of our most complex problems
- Architect features to improve server reliability, performance and uptime
- Implement server infrastructure changes to support new gameplay features
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform tasks and maintain a process of technological evolution
- Mentor and educate engineers on the team
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience
- Shipped at least one AAA title as a sever engineer
- Advanced understanding of C / C++
- Extensive networking experience
- Passion for networking and high-performance programming
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures
- Passion for writing clean and performant code
- Linux / Unix experience
- Excellent communications skills
- Self-motivated, strong sense of independence
- A degree in computer science, or a related field
- Experience with transaction processing systems
- Database experience (Relational or NoSQL)
- Enthusiastic about working in a collaborative DevOps environment
- Previous experience mentoring software engineers
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!