Lead Software Engineer, Gameplay
Pull up a chair and join us! Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a talented and enthusiastic software engineer to join the Hearthstone team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for making the actual card-playing gameplay of Hearthstone be the best that it can be. This position’s primary responsibility will be to provide technical mentorship and guidance for the small team of engineers that supports and improves the card-related rules, effects
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance for a small team of engineers.
- Support all things ‘in-game’ for Hearthstone, both client and server side. Some of the areas that the gameplay team is responsible for include:
- New card effects
- Ruleset changes and maintenance
- Content creator support for crafting cards and scenarios (scripting system support, new effect hook-ups, etc.)
- Minor live-support for gameplay related issues
- Work with production staff and other leads to establish engineering tasks and manage schedule requirements.
- Work with the Technical Director to promote and apply the core values of the Hearthstone engineering team.
- Review completed engineering tasks in collaboration with the production staff and other leads.
- Maintain a basic familiarity with Hearthstone’s design.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in programming software.
- Strong, proven C++ and C# skills.
- Previous leadership experience or very strong leadership potential.
- Experience with performance analysis and code optimization.
- Unity experience with the 5.x platform or newer.
- Previous experience shipping game titles or other software.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with artists, designers, and other engineers.
- High comfort level extending and improving an established code base.
- A burning desire to make the gameplay of Hearthstone the best that it can be for our players.
- Familiarity with Hearthstone.
- Avid Hearthstone player.
- Previous experience supporting and shipping AAA game titles.
- Previous experience developing card games or other turn-based strategy titles.
- iOS and/or Android development experience.
- Experience supporting a live service.
- Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related degree.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
** Only submissions with cover letters will be considered
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true