Design Lead, Hearthstone Websites
The Battle.net & Online Products organization is home to 300+ superpowered engineers, program managers, and designers focused on the technology that powers Blizzard Entertainment’s games. Whether you’re playing one of our titles, chatting with friends, or just shopping online, B&OP ensures that our players are immersed in engaging, exciting, and secure experiences.
Battle.net & Online Products is looking for an enthusiastic Design Lead to shepherd the Hearthstone web experience into the future. From oversight on web apps like Fireside Gatherings and Hearthstone Esports to driving discovery efforts for our players on the site, we need you to be a fire-starter for new concepts and strategic initiatives while building consensus across the team and partners across Blizzard.
In addition to hands-on project ownership, you will also be expected to chip in to the growth of the design discipline in our Austin office, with responsibility for team leadership, maintenance of our user-centered design process, and the hiring, team culture, and mentoring of hardworking team members.
Come join a team of experienced designers inspired by a common passion to create the very best web experiences for millions of players. This is a full-time position in Austin, Texas.
- Guide user experience, design, art and creative direction of new and current Hearthstone web products including announcements, guides, community projects, Esports sites, and Fireside Gatherings. Use user-centered design methodologies to iterate on the development of these products via feedback sessions, data analysis and usability testing.
- Help define high-level product and design strategy, but also work roll up your sleeves and help contribute as needed. You can transition from high-level thinking to project minutiae – from design work to optimization and implementation. You love both big ideas and small details.
- Champion design programs and initiatives to company leadership via various avenues, including strategy decks, wireframes, flowcharts, prototypes, feature matrices and mock-ups (informed by business goals, creative briefs, analytics, competitive analysis, interviews, and other methods of testing). Build close relationships with program managers, engineers, user researchers, content strategists, and quality assurance analysts to maintain strong product and team alignment.
- Foster a culture of excellence for digital and web strategy across Blizzard, advocating for incremental product improvements while simultaneously building cases for meatier projects. To get us there, you’ll work with researchers and analysts to make informed decisions, continuously integrate feedback, and optimize process and workflows.
- Empower and inspire the team around you to do their best work. You can provide clear and actionable feedback, but you want to build horizontal teams where every voice matters, and your team members are set up for ownership and success.
- Lead & Develop a team of designers and act as a pillar of the team leadership as peers to Engineering and Program Management leads. Contribute to team planning, partner management, performance management, talent planning, team development and recognition. You're comfortable navigating through art direction, creative direction, storytelling, and animation, and you understand how all these disciplines tie together.
- Collaborate with leaders and partners throughout Blizzard to construct a cohesive end-to-end user experience. Use your experience to deploy the right tool or process at the right time to communicate ideas, hand off work, evaluate a feature, or discover something new. Work with our design ops team to integrate standard methodologies, systems, tools while looking for opportunities to contribute back to the discipline.
- Contribute to and expand team culture ensuring a strong and healthy design ethos for our Austin office.
- BA/BS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), HCI, CS, or a related field or equivalent industry experience
- Minimum of 8 years as user experience designer, interaction designer, program manager, or similar
- Minimum of 2 years as a design lead, product lead, or design manager
- A portfolio demonstrating a track record of delivering exceptional web experiences
- Knowledge and experience in defining high-level product strategy to set direction and remove ambiguity
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring and growing up-and-coming designers
- Capacity to provide clear design and creative direction, encouragement and actionable feedback to team members
- Enthusiasm for to product-first thinking and player-focused design
- Belief in Blizzard’s Core Values
- Strong initiative to take on problems with excellent follow-through
- Appreciation for a collaborative culture–you truly enjoy working with others
- Attention to detail and proven organizational skills
- Friendly, positive attitude and open-mindedness
- Experience working within Agile/Kanban development teams
- Strong desire to work on interactive and multi-platform entertainment products
- Deep understanding of Hearthstone's universe and game
Please submit (i) a resume and (ii) and URL or PDF of your portfolio. We don't require cover letters but deeply appreciate them when submitted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!