Game Design Manager
Are you ready to embrace the challenge of mentoring and growing one of the most talented team of designers in the industry? If so, keep reading!
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a skilled people manager to support a world-class Design team focused on creating the next generation of content for the Overwatch franchise. As Design manager you will be responsible for managing their day-to-day activities as well as partnering with team leadership on department strategic planning including:
- Removing roadblocks to achieve creative iterative space
- Engaging in problem solving and proactively providing solutions in areas of career coaching
- Fostering team culture and supporting the leads to ensure accountability in support of project priorities
Demonstrating enthusiasm and flexibility will be key in the role. The ideal candidate will have comprehensive knowledge of the game industry and the development life cycle. This individual also has experience in working with a multi-faceted Design team, supporting and coordinating team priorities in a large-team production environment.
We’d love to see some experience in AAA design, however experience in managing creative people coupled with a strong understanding of game development and team dynamics will be most critical to success in this role. Ultimately, we’re looking for an individual who enjoys and has a passion for supporting designers accomplish their paths to success, both individually and as a team.
Stuff We Will Trust You With
- Work with Design leadership and team Leads to understand the team priorities and provide input on how those goals can be accomplished
- Manage individuals in the design department, with an emphasis on facilitating strong collaboration across other disciplines (production, art, engineering, audio)
- Drive decisions and coordination around interviewing and assessing talent needs, that help the team achieve both short-term and long-term team goals
- Coach and be an advocate for employee development, while balancing the overall needs of the game
- Facilitate cross-team feedback and conduct performance reviews with an objective perspective
- Champion team culture and leadership goals
- Create and implement action plans for the department's future success, emphasizing training and development.
Stuff You Can Rightfully Brag About
- Experience as a lead, supervisor, Design Manager or Assistant Director in AAA games
- Demonstrated ability to manage a group of designers in a dynamically changing game production environment
- Proven ability and strong passion for people management including recruitment, performance review delivery, career development and conflict resolution
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, demonstrating diplomacy and tact
- Strong organizational skills
And yeah, you will need these things to apply
- Cover letter