Staff Software Engineer
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing!
At Blackline, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications.
Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
Being a best-in-class SaaS Company, we understand that bringing in new ideas and innovative technology is mission critical. At BlackLine we are always working with new, cutting edge technology that encourages our teams to learn something new and expand their creativity and technical skillset that will accelerate their careers.
Work, Play and Grow at BlackLine!
Make Your Mark:
BlackLine empowers our team members to be change agents and are always seeking new and innovative ways to solve problems. We are experiencing explosive growth and looking for passionate and talented people to join our team.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will play a crucial role in delivering high quality releases to our customers by designing, developing, troubleshooting, maintaining, optimizing and scaling BlackLine’s cloud-based backend services and driving innovation into our product suite. In this role, you will research, test, benchmark and evaluate new technologies, propose scaling solutions, collaborate with other teams to define and build new features, optimize existing features while writing elegant code, coaching and mentoring less experienced software engineers and communicating with people at all levels. Your attention to detail, tenacity, and creative problem-solving and thinking ahead will directly impact the company's success, as well as the success of your peers across the organization.
If you have a passion for delivering products that make a difference, are driven to make things better in all that you do and are eager to work in a collaborative agile environment where Developers are dedicated to solving customer problems and innovating, then we want to talk to you.
You’ll Get To:
- Provide technical expertise and leadership in the design, development, and delivery of BlackLine’s products, while adhering to timelines, coding standards, requirements, and quality.
- Architect, design, develop, test, troubleshoot, debug, optimize, scale, maintain and improve software applications, driving the delivery of high quality value and features to BlackLine’s customers. Develop functional and technical specifications, and test plans. Review others’ code. Develop and document functional and technical requirements. Collaborate with other team members and other teams on all of the above.
- Design and communicate coding standards, architectural plans, solve complex design and architectural problems, create robust architectural solutions.
- Implement, refine, and enforce software development techniques to ensure that delivered features meet software integration, performance, security, and maintainability expectations.
- Research, test, benchmark, and evaluate new tools and technologies, and recommend ways to implement them in product development.
- Maintain high standards of software quality and technical excellence within the team by establishing good practices and habits and writing clean, testable, maintainable, and secure code.
- Inspire a forward-thinking team of developers, acting as an agent of change and evangelist for a quality-first culture within the organization. Mentor and coach team members and guide them to solutions on complex design issues.
- Proactively identify issues, bottlenecks, gaps, or other areas of concern or opportunity and work to either directly affect change, or advocate for that change by working with peers and leadership to build consensus and take action.
- Perform critical maintenance, deployment, and release support activities, including occasional off-hours support.
What You’ll Bring:
- BS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience with software development in general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: C#, Java, C/C++.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in building Web Applications, SaaS products, and RESTful APIs.
- A solid computer science foundation including data structures, algorithms, and design patterns, with a proven track record of software design and architecture of complex systems.
- Experience in service-oriented architecture and aspect-oriented programming.
- Experience as a technical influencer for highly scalable distributed system designs.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL, including stored procedures, data models, and transactional flows.
- Fluency with data modelling and database design.
- Experience with multi-threading and concurrency.
- Experience as a technical lead on significant development initiatives.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Adaptable team player with strong collaboration skills and a focus on results and value delivery.
- Prior working experience in Scrum, or other Agile development methodologies, is preferred.
- Passion for engineering excellence through automation, unit testing, and process improvements
Thrive At BlackLine Because You Are Joining:
- A technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation!
- A culture that is kind, open, and accepting. It’s a place where people can embrace what makes them unique, and the mix of cultural backgrounds and varying interests cultivates diverse thought and perspectives.
- A company who believes in providing the best possible service to its clients, and that starts with offering amazing perks to its employees. These perks include 100% coverage for healthcare, vision, and dental, 401(k) matching, ESPP, food, drinks, games, and so much more!
- A culture where BlackLiners’ continued growth and learning is empowered. BlackLine offers a wide variety of professional development seminars and inclusive affinity groups to celebrate and support our diversity.
BlackLine is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, race, age, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, ancestry, color, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, medical condition, genetic information, or any other protected class or category recognized by applicable equal employment opportunity or other similar laws.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]