Senior Manager, Database & Data Engineering
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing! At Blackline, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications.
Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
We're a technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation.
As Senior Manager of Database Engineering, you will be responsible for driving forward the vision, architecture, design, implementation, optimization and tuning of BlackLine high-volume transactional databases, OLTP modeling, Reporting and Analytics to support our large scale, cloud-based, SaaS web and mobile applications.
You will lead, inspire, and inspire a team of talented Database Engineers while working closely with Developers, Architects, Product Managers and Cloud Operations. The ideal candidate will have strong data infrastructure and data architecture skills, a proven track record of leading and scaling data teams, strong operational skills to drive efficiency and speed, solid project management leadership, and a strong vision for how Data Engineering can scale a global SaaS platform.
We're looking for people who not only have a strong hands-on technical experience and interest, but who want to drive innovation in people management, motivation, and growth. If you are someone who strives for excellence in all that they do, including helping those in your team, and someone who wants to ultimately deliver the best value and success you can, then we want to talk to you.
- Oversee design, development, and operations of high-performance, massively scalable, always-available Cloud-based data platform to support BlackLine SaaS.
- Develop inherently secure, reliable, scalable, and modular access to Data.
- Drive visibility on key performance, throughput, availability, and customer satisfaction metrics.
- Continually improve data platform architecture, data modeling and data governance to match the growth of the business.
- Lead, inspire, and grow a globally distributed team of talented engineers while aligning tightly with architects, software engineers, product managers, and operations.
- Define and drive a unifying vision for teams and their projects, processes, workflows, and related areas through motivation, consensus building and leading change.
- Plan and manage timely delivery of high-quality releases while keeping the stakeholders informed.
- Contribute to design reviews, code reviews, and hands-on work in your respective domain.
- Troubleshoot issues holistically, conduct root cause analysis and implement corrective actions.
- On call for handling production releases and incidents, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience in managing a team of DB engineers working on design, development, and support of large-scale SaaS with 8+ years of experience in your respective domain.
- Prior experience in hiring top-notch talent, talent development, and mentoring.
- Exceptional communication and people skills, with a passion for product excellence.
- Committed to providing exceptional service to customers and support to staff members.
- Strong knowledge of relational DB systems (especially SQL server and PostgreSQL), schema design, information architecture, internal objects, optimization, performance tuning, monitoring, and troubleshooting.
- Advanced understanding of OLTP and OLAP environments for high volume transactions.
- Experience in designing data models using techniques such as 3NF, object-relational, entity-relationship, or dimensional modeling.
- Ability to look “under the hood” to find bottlenecks in the design/architecture and innovate.
- Strong experience in Agile methodology, processes, and best practices, including Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD).
- Strong understanding of business management, financial, and leadership principles.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]