Associate Systems Engineer
The Associate Systems Engineer will primarily work with software developers, test engineers and infrastructure teams to implement best practices including deploying production updates, managing configuration of software components and automating operational procedures. They will also be involved in troubleshooting production issues, developing tools and designs to improve operational efficiencies across the board.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Create and maintain software build and deployment pipelines using Jenkins and PowerShell.
- Maintain and improve the SLA for daily tickets and unplanned work.
- Understanding and troubleshooting of automated server provisioning using Chef and Ruby.
- Debug and resolve application and middleware issues.
- Participate in an 24/7 on-call rotation within the team and bi-weekly system patching across the BlackLine infrastructure and environments.
- Collaborate with development and other technology teams on requirements definition, capacity planning, and process refinement.
- Adhere to existing operational processes and maintain operational documentation.
- Monitor industry trends and keep abreast of new tools and technologies.
- Contribute knowledge, skills, and personal qualities to a dedicated team of top engineers solving real-life problems in a bleeding-edge, high-performance, and high-traffic environment.
- Monitor and manage the Production Operations ticketing queue (JIRA).
- Work to transition Windows systems and tools, into an integrated Linux environment.
Years of Experience in Related Field: 0-2 years
Bachelor’s Degree in an IT or engineering discipline or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS, EE or CS degree with 0-2+ years related experience.
- Experience with tools such as Jenkins, Vangrant, Stash, and Jira.
- Experience with automation task and process improvement development.
- Beginner to Intermediate knowledge of at least two of the following programming languages: C#, Ruby, Python, Perl, Bash, PowerShell, Java.
- Experience with Ubuntu, CentOS and various Linux OS and updating tools, such as Landscape, APT, Yum.
- Knowledge in OS optimizing, tuning and securing Linux environments.
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift.
- Experience deploying high availability systems and software.
- Experience with troubleshooting distributed web applications in a production environment.
- Familiarity and basic level knowledge of SQL.
- Knowledge of a subset: Chef, Puppet, RabbitMQ, Redis, Microservices, Consul, Vagrant, ELK
- Knowledge of SOAP and REST based API protocols.
- Experience with virtual host configuration and management, either in private (VMWare, Xen) or public (AWS, Azure) cloud environments.
- Previous experience with Powershell and Bash.
- Familiarity with Configuration Management tools such as Chef or Puppet.
- Experience operating production systems.
- The ideal candidate will have a background in software development
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]