Cloud Data Engineer
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing!
At Blackline, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications.
Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
Being a best-in-class SaaS Company, we understand that bringing in new ideas and innovative technology is mission critical. At BlackLine we are always working with new, cutting edge technology that encourages our teams to learn something new and expand their creativity and technical skillset that will accelerate their careers.
Work, Play and Grow at BlackLine!
BlackLine empowers our team members to be change agents and are always seeking new and innovative ways to solve problems. We are experiencing explosive growth and looking for passionate and talented people to join our team.
As a member of the Data Operations team, you will help advance the platform to allow the organization to make data-driven decisions and improve the product experience. To achieve this, the team currently leverages the power of the Google Cloud Platform and existing open-source technologies.
The team is also responsible for building and operating tools and platforms around data while also promoting best practices around it with a focus on user data privacy. We are looking for a driven, detail-oriented, and passionate engineer to come to join our new Data Operations team.
- Ensure 99.99%+ availability of the services and infrastructure that spans across multiple global datacenters in private and public clouds.
- Design, build and maintain production data-pipelines (both batch and streaming) that deliver over a billion events with measurable quality within bounds of defined SLA(s)
- Work with product and engineering managers to build necessary tools to help with their data-related needs
- Build tools and infrastructure that enables external teams (engineers and analysts) to effectively create efficient data-pipelines
- Be a champion of the overall strategy for data governance, security, privacy, quality, and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements
- Identify, document, and promote best practices
- Monitor and maintain health, performance, and security of all infrastructure components.
- Build systems and perform necessary tasks to deliver against committed project timelines.
- Desire to automate everything
- Solve real-life problems in a bleeding-edge, high-performance, and high-traffic environment.
- Maintain documentation and operational knowledge base.
- Adhere to the change management and other established processes and procedures.
- Respond to and troubleshoot incidents. Conduct root cause analyses.
- Evaluate and analyze systems, performance, issues, and metrics to provide recommendations for continuous improvements.
- Participate in a scheduled 24/7 on-call rotation for second tier support escalations.Implement, optimize, and regularly test backup and recovery plans for databases, including Disaster Recovery
- Perform critical scheduled maintenance, deployment, and release support activities
- Participate in various POC’s
- Create and Maintain documentation as well as operational knowledge base. Share knowledge with peers and other functional teams
- Proactively identify issues, bottlenecks, gaps, or other areas of concern or opportunity and work to either directly affect change, or advocate for that change by working with peers and leadership in building consensus and taking action
- 4+ Years of Data engineering experience
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in working with data, including but not limited to Data Warehouse (DWH) environment with data integration / ETL of large and complex data sets. Building large scale data-processing systems with experience in
- 2+ years supporting a Saas/Hosting type, critical revenue-generating environment.
- 2+ years interacting with APIs (REST, SOAP, etc.)
- Big Data technologies such as MapReduce, Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, or GCP/AWS equivalents
- Programming experience in SQL and Python or Java
- Hands-on experience in data modeling, data pipeline design and development
- Proficient in relational as well as non-relational data stores, methods and approaches.
- Hands-on problem-solving skills, technical leadership and mentoring qualities
- Familiarity with scripting and or systems programing languages (e.g. Bash, PowerShell, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to participate in On-Call rotation
- A minimum of two years of experience in a 24x7 operations organization, deploying and operating complex data infrastructure at scale
- A technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation!
- A culture that is kind, open, and accepting. It’s a place where people can embrace what makes them unique, and the mix of cultural backgrounds and varying interests cultivates diverse thought and perspectives.
- A company who believes in providing the best possible service to its clients, and that starts with offering amazing perks to its employees. These perks include 100% coverage for healthcare, vision, and dental, 401(k) matching, ESPP, food, drinks, games, and so much more!
- A culture where BlackLiners’ continued growth and learning is empowered. BlackLine offers a wide variety of professional development seminars and inclusive affinity groups to celebrate and support our diversity.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]