Senior Cloud Engineer
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing!
At Blackline, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications.
Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance. Being a best-in-class SaaS Company, we understand that bringing in new ideas and innovative technology is mission critical. At BlackLine we are always working with new, cutting edge technology that encourages our teams to learn something new and expand their creativity and technical skillset that will accelerate their careers. Work, Play and Grow at BlackLine!
BlackLine empowers our team members to be change agents and are always seeking new and innovative ways to solve problems. We are experiencing explosive growth and looking for passionate and talented people to join our team.
We are seeking an experienced Cloud Engineer to work with the development of new Cloud native tools and services with extensive experience with Infrastructure as code (IAC). In this role, you will help design, build, and manage physical data structures designed for flexibility, scalability and resiliency to support current and future business needs of all the Blackline products and initiatives in automated, repeatable way. Tools and services built by Cloud Engineering will provide the cloud native foundation for future Blackline Products and Services. You will also design, build, and maintain processes and components of a data pipeline to support analytics, focusing on data quality and governance, pipeline performance, and best practices for democratized data access. You will also collaborate and influence across partner teams on design and architecture with our IAC principles and make recommendations for improvements.
If you’re an expert in DevOps principles, Containers, Event driven technology, traditional data warehousing, ETL and/or big data pipeline and processing, you’re exactly who we’re seeking. Technical capabilities aside, if you’re a self-starter who’s comfortable with ambiguity, able to think big without overlooking minute details, and who thrives in a fast-paced environment, you’re perfect for our team.
- Design and build Blackline's cloud infrastructure platforms using IaC to shift left and accelerate DevOps, product engineering, and data science teams’ ability to deliver new products and services
- Design and build cloud tools that democratize access to the cloud.
- Templatize and orchestrate the public cloud to deliver easily consumable services.
- Take a security-first approach by ensuring compliance with centrally defined Security and with Operational risk standards (E.g. Network, Firewall, OS, Logging, Monitoring, Availability, Resiliency)
- Build and support continuous integration (CI), continuous delivery (CD) and continuous testing activities
- Support requirements such as logging, Monitoring and alerting etc.
- Ensure good Change management practice is implemented as specified by central standards.
- Provide impact assessments where requested for changes proposed on GCP core platform
- Expert understanding of DevOps principles, Platform and Infrastructure as a Code concepts and techniques
- Strong understanding of Containers, Git, CI/CD and available tools
- Security and Compliance, e.g. IAM and cloud compliance/auditing/monitoring tools
- Proficient with Terraform/CloudFormation and a modern scripting language (preferably Python/Go) for automation of build tasks.
- Experience with container orchestration technologies (kubernetes, mesos, swarm etc.) and deployment technologies (ArgoCD, Spinnaker)
- Prototype, develop and apply software integrations based on user feedback.
- Implement automation tools and frameworks (Jenkins, CI/CD pipelines).
- Experience of building a range of Services in a Cloud Service provider (ideally GCP)
- Able to carry out approaches such as risk-management, clustering, load balancing, and failover.
- Networking principles and protocols such as IP subnetting, routing, firewall rules, Virtual Private Cloud, LoadBalancer, Cloud DNS, Cloud CDN, etc.
- Conduct system tests for security, performance, and availability.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, Ability to build strong relationships with Application teams, cross functional IT and global/local IT teams
- A track record of constantly looking for ways to do things better and an excellent understanding of the mechanism necessary to successfully implement change
- Set and achieved challenging short, medium, and long term goals which exceeded the standards in their field
- Individuals who are motivated by enabling and helping others within the company be data driven
- Experience working within an Agile environment
We’re Even More Excited If You Have:
- Demonstrable Cloud service provider experience (ideally GCP) - infrastructure build and configurations of a variety of services including Compute, Storage, SDN (VPC and XPN)
- We run in Google Cloud and rely heavily on BigQuery, Pub/Sub, Cloud Storage and our internal ETL frameworks to automate tasks, Experience with these technologies is a plus.
- A technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation!
- A culture that is kind, open, and accepting. It’s a place where people can embrace what makes them unique, and the mix of cultural backgrounds and varying interests cultivates diverse thought and perspectives.
- A company who believes in providing the best possible service to its clients, and that starts with offering amazing perks to its employees. These perks include 100% coverage for healthcare, vision, and dental, 401(k) matching, ESPP, food, drinks, games, and so much more!
- A culture where BlackLiners’ continued growth and learning is empowered. BlackLine offers a wide variety of professional development seminars and inclusive affinity groups to celebrate and support our diversity.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]