BlackLine is a global market leader in the Fintech space providing cloud technology solutions and analytics that helps companies modernize and transform Finance and Accounting financial operations with intelligent automation, ensuring more accurate and insightful financial statements and a more efficient financial close process. More than 3,700 companies around the world trust BlackLine to help ensure balance sheet integrity and confidence.
Who You Are:
We are looking for a self-driven, detail-oriented, and passionate engineer to come to join our Data Engineering team.
As a member of the Data Engineering team, you will help develop cloud-based data platforms & services that enable the organization to develop new product offerings, improve existing products and make data-driven decisions. You will leverage the power of the Google Cloud Platform and open-source technologies to empower BlackLine products and applications with scalable, resilient, and cost-effective data storage and data processing. The team is also responsible for building tools and promoting best practices for data management. In this role, you will have the opportunity to solve interesting data challenges in greenfield projects using modern technology architectures. You will work closely with Data Architects, Database Engineers, and Product Managers.
Your Next Challenge:
- Build, integrate and deploy data processing solutions into BlackLine applications in collaboration with architecture, product management, cloud infrastructure, and other engineering teams.
- Responsible for building and maintaining Spark-based data pipelines in GCP leveraging Dataproc, Kafka, and Pyspark.
- Design & Build data flows for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources.
- Design & Build data lake using lake house architecture.
- Create and maintain data service REST API endpoints in GCP.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement ETL process automation to onboard new datasets, etc.
- Execute extract, transform and load (ETL) operations on large datasets including data identification, mapping, aggregation, conditioning, cleansing, analyzing, etc.
- Establish & maintain data mapping, data model, and metadata services.
- Be a champion of the overall data strategy for data governance, security, privacy, quality, and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements.
- Identify, document, and promote best practices.
- Respond to and troubleshoot incidents. Conduct root cause analysis.
- Evaluate and analyze systems, performance, issues, and metrics to provide recommendations for continuous improvements.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or related field of study.
- 5+ years of work experience in a data engineering/warehouse team.
- 5+ years of ETL experience using Python, Py-spark, SQL, and/or other ETL tools.
- 3+ years of experience in big data technologies such as Apache Hadoop or Spark.
- 3+ years of experience interacting with APIs (REST, SOAP, etc.)
- 3+ years of programming experience in Python or Scala
- Strong understanding of big data components and frameworks, real-time data streaming solutions
- Experience building a data lake solution to serve analytics and operational data processing needs.
- Data warehousing experience, data modeling, and database design.
- Practical experience with GIT version control.
- Comfortable working with open-source tools in Windows/Unix/Linux environments.
- Experience with Agile software development processes and methodologies.
- Ability to work independently without the need for supervision.
- Ability to adapt and learn new technologies.
- Experience with various file formats such as JSON, Avro, and Parquet.
- Experience with event-driven architecture/systems and messaging platforms.
- Experience with Hive, open-source / data bricks delta lake or Iceberg or Hudi
- Experience with Google Cloud or a similar cloud provider.
Thrive at BlackLine:
- We offer comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) matching
- Flexible time off
- Paid Holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and so much more!
We're looking for all kinds of people.
BlackLine is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, race, age, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, ancestry, color, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, medical condition, genetic information, or any other protected class or category recognized by applicable equal employment opportunity or other similar laws. Work is primarily sedentary in nature; no special demands are required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]