Senior Cloud Engineer, AR
We are seeking an experienced Cloud Engineer to lead the development of new Cloud native tools and services with extensive experience with Infrastructure as code (IAC). In this role, you will lead architecture, design, build, and manage physical data structures designed for flexibility, scalability and resiliency to support current and future business needs of all the Blackline products and initiatives in automated, repeatable way. Tools and services built by Cloud Engineering will provide the cloud native foundation for future Blackline Products and Services. You will also design, build, and maintain processes and components of a data pipeline to support analytics, focusing on data quality and governance, pipeline performance, and best practices for democratized data access. You will also collaborate and influence across partner teams on design and architecture with our IAC principles and make recommendations for improvements.
If you’re an expert in DevOps principles, Containers, Event driven technology, traditional data warehousing, ETL and/or big data pipeline and processing, you’re exactly who we’re seeking. Technical capabilities aside, if you’re a self-starter who’s comfortable with ambiguity, able to think big without overlooking minute details, and who thrives in a fast-paced environment, you’re perfect for our team.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Design and build Blackline's cloud infrastructure platforms using infrastructure as code methods to accelerate software engineering and data science teams ability to deliver new products and services
- Design and build cloud tools that democratize access to the cloud in order to accelerate software engineering and data science teams ability to deliver new products and services
- Consume Blackline's centrally agreed base Hardened OS (Linux and Windows)
- Ensure compliance with centrally defined Security and with Operational risk standards (E.g. Network, Firewall, OS, Logging, Monitoring, Availability, Resiliency)
- Build and support continuous integration (CI), continuous delivery (CD) and continuous testing activities
- Support non-functional requirements such as serviceability, supportability, logging, Monitoring and alerting etc.
- Ensure good Change management practice is implemented as specified by central standards.
- Provide impact assessments where requested for changes proposed on Microsoft Azure core platform
- Take part in Release Management activities, including rota for deployments to Production on Sundays (with time off in week provided)
- On a rotational on call basis provide out of business hours support as part of our 24 x 7 coverage
Years of Experience in Related Field: Minimum 5 Years
Education: Masters Preferred
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expert understanding of DevOps principles, Platform and Infrastructure as a Code concepts and techniques, based on Microsoft Azure SAAS and IAAS components.
- Strong understanding of Azure DevOps, Containers, Git, Jenkins, CI/CD and available tools
- Security and Compliance, e.g. IAM and cloud compliance/auditing/monitoring tools
- Proficient with Azure DevOps and a modern scripting language (preferably Powershell or Azure CLI) for automation of build tasks.
- Experience with SQL Managed Instances and other Cloud DB technologies in Microsoft Azure. (Nice to have)
- Experience with Relational Databases, NoSQL Databases and/or Big Data technologies (Nice to have)
- Experience with container orchestration technologies (kubernetes, mesos, swarm etc.) and deployment methodologies, configuration management tools (Azure DevOps, CI/CD, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.), and logging (ELK) and monitoring tools (Azure Application Insights, etc.)
- Prototype, develop and apply software integrations based on user feedback.
- Implement automation tools and frameworks (Azure DevOps, Jenkins, CI/CD pipelines).
- Experience of building a range of Services in a Cloud Service provider (ideally Microsoft Azure)
- Able to carry out approaches such as risk-management, clustering, load balancing, disaster recovery and failover.
- Experience of Static Code Analysis tools, eg VeraCode, Snyk, Sonarqube (Nice to hav)
- Conduct system tests for security, performance, and availability.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, Ability to build strong relationships with Application teams, cross functional IT and global/local IT teams
- A track record of constantly looking for ways to do things better and an excellent understanding of the mechanism necessary to successfully implement change
- Set and achieved challenging short, medium and long term goals which exceeded the standards in their field
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills; an ability to communicate with impact, ensuring complex information is articulated in a meaningful way to wide and varied audiences
- Working knowledge in IP and storage networking including SDN, Linux, application networking, DNS, SAN and hybrid technologies
- Networking principles and protocols such as IP subnetting, routing, firewall rules, Virtual Private Cloud, LoadBalancer, Cloud DNS, Cloud CDN such as Cloudflare, etc.
- Individuals who are motivated by enabling and helping others within the company be data driven
- Demonstrable Cloud service provider experience (ideally Microsoft Azure) - infrastructure build and configurations of a variety of services including Compute, Storage, SDN (VPC and XPN)
- Experience of working with Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD) and continuous testing tools
- We run in Microsoft Azure Cloud and rely heavily on Azure SQL Managed Instances, Cloud Storage and our internal ETL frameworks to automate tasks, Experience with these technologies is a plus.
- Experience working within an Agile environment
- Automation scripting (using scripting languages such as Powershell & Azure CLI etc.)
- Server administration (either Linux or Windows)
- Ability to quickly acquire new skills and tools
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]