SVP, Strategy & Corporate Development
Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. The company’s vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and they are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance. BlackLine’s Finance Controls and Automation platform is trusted by more than 236,800 users in over 150+ countries around the world. They have been named to the Forbes Cloud 100 list and the Inc. 500/5000 list for the ninth year in a row.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, with offices in Australia, the United Kingdom, Germany, and throughout the United States, their team of professionals and network of partners help transform the way accounting and finance teams work to drive more accurate financials and more effective organizations.
Opportunity for Impact
The Senior Vice President of Strategy and Corporate Development will be responsible for leading a team which will drive and enable decision making across the company with key financial insights in three specific areas – Corporate Development, Strategic Planning and Special Projects. He/she will partner with BlackLine’s senior business leaders to facilitate strategic decisions focused on key investments, operational improvements, new business opportunities and strategic transactions.
This role will be responsible for all aspects of strategic acquisitions and inorganic growth initiatives. Responsibilities include all aspects of corporate M&A, including but not limited to strategy development, target identification, deal sourcing, deal execution, acquisition integration preparation and helping to assess and support other inorganic growth.
Strategic Planning & Special Projects
The individual will drive the multi-year strategic planning process including identify growth opportunities, contribute to product market strategy and oversee corporate and new business development opportunities. Success will be defined by the direct business impact facilitated by partnering with our leaders on key decisions, and building a thriving, sustainable operation and team.
Role and Responsibilities
- Evaluate BlackLine’s asset mix and opportunities around new businesses and extensions of existing businesses
- Partner as a trusted advisor with senior management on M&A evaluation and execution
- Lead and evaluate all aspects of such opportunities whether undertaken as an internal initiative or through potential acquisition, divestiture, partnership or joint venture opportunities.
- Understand and communicate financial impact and risks of potential acquisitions and investments and recommend remediation actions
- Develop and implement frameworks for effective investment decision making, such as ROI, EVA, and Economic Profit analytical tools to ensure decisions are made in alignment with creating shareholder value
- Lead cross-functional teams in diligence efforts and post-transaction integration
- Develop relationships with key external parties including sellers, target companies, bankers, and financial advisors
Strategic Planning & Special Projects
- Own the multi-year strategic planning process. Integrate the strategy with the financial planning process to ensure tight linkage between strategic goals and the budget
- Manage a team responsible for monitoring business trend outlooks and gathering competitive and market intelligence, industry and peer trends to contribute to strategic business planning discussions with leadership
- Work closely with financial leadership to provide qualitative and quantitative evaluation and implications for new products, new markets, operating models, and technology solutions relating to the business
- Develop and communicate key metrics to create transparency into financial performance and inform strategic and operational decisions. Develop scorecards and regularly report on progress against the strategy.
- 7+ years in a Strategic Finance role. Corporate development, investment banking, equity research, VC, private equity or similar experience will also be considered
- Strategic mindset and significant relevant M&A, Corporate Development, Investment Banking or Transaction Advisory experience and ability to advance the strategy-led M&A framework.
- Proven history leading the diligence on deals and can help navigate issues / negotiate points externally and internally to gain alignment.
- Experience developing optimal transaction structures and negotiating related purchase agreements.
- Exceptional influencing skills and preferred experience working cross functionally across many areas and levels of an organization.
- Specific expertise in developing strategic alternatives with cross functional implications and financial impact.
- Experience with B2B SaaS and/or subscription business models
- Strong leader with the proven ability to build relationships. A good listener with outstanding influencing qualities and a natural, effective consultative style.
- Ability to respond and prioritize effectively and meet deadlines. An effective and decisive leader who works well under pressure, and someone who works with a sense of urgency staying calm and in control.
- Strategic, innovative thinker with proven execution, leadership and aptitude
- Possess strategic agility: the ability to initiate and drive change and have the flexibility to adapt to a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment as well easily toggle between issues of strategy and vision and those of the most tactical and granular nature
- Highly Intellectual – ability to think deeply and qualitatively about business problems, breaking down issues and presenting solutions
- Strong communication skills. This person must be a good listener and writer
- Entrepreneurial with an ability to flourish while working alongside similarly intellectually curious senior executives
- Ability to be both a leader and hands on “doer”
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]