Transit Service Manager-Light Rail Operations/Rail Dispatcher
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Gym Discounts with Club Fitness and OneLife Fitness at Ballpark Village
- 24 hour access to our 9 onsite gyms
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Discounted Cell Phone service
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401k plan with company match
- Employee assistance program
- Bi-State Development is an eligible employer the for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
Directs the work of light rail vehicle operators in the MetroLink Operations section.
- Review and evaluate operating activities and recommend changes to enhance operations, including special events.
- Responsible for directing and documenting all train movement in the rail yard.
- Responsible for processing the Operator payroll weekly.
- Responsible for assigning all open work daily and coordinating weekly temporary work selection activities.
- Plan direct and coordinate the assignment of LRVs to operate in revenue service and organize daily pull-outs and pull ins.
- Plan direct and coordinate all train wash activities in partnership with maintenance and the train wash crew.
- Prepare reports on operations activities including attendance, absenteeism, on-time performance, and security.
- Responsible for the distribution of General Orders and General Notices to train Operators.
- Prepare incident and special reports arising from train service activities including safety, vehicle accidents and employee or passenger injuries. Investigate accidents and customer complaints.
- On occasion may monitor stations, platforms, elevators/escalators, emergency telephones and ticket vending machines and report any defects. Respond to emergency alarms.
- Assist with training LRV Operators on operating procedures, equipment operations and emergency procedures.
- Plan, direct, coordinate and control the work of employees in the section and prepare periodic observation reports. Monitor non-Metro employees to regulate safety and rule adherence.
- Report delays and problems promptly and take appropriate actions to correct performance and maintain schedules.
- May assist passengers and ensure safe, efficient and courteous service is provided in the field particularly during special events.
- May participate in grievance hearings regarding rule violations and or violations of the Labor Agreements.
- Develop and implement procedures and schedules to regulate the activities of light rail vehicle operators; assist in the developing and implementing performance standards for light rail operators and evaluate employee productivity and performance against established standards.
- Assist in the preparation of safety procedures, rules and regulations for light rail operations; participate in emergency situations involving vehicles, equipment and passengers; notify appropriate persons in the event of emergency.
- Responsible for ensuring that Train Operator Hours of Service are in compliance with federal/state/Bi-State regulations.
Knowledge, Skill, & Abilities
- Must be able to pass LRV Operator training course and re-qualify as directed.
- Must be able to secure and maintain a Missouri CDL.
- Ability to learn the day-to-day operation of a light rail system, the collective bargaining agreement covering light rail vehicle operators, the safety regulations governing a light rail operation, agency regulations and guidelines, train service schedules and fare structure.
- Ability to evaluate the work of employees, develop procedures, rules and schedules and instruct employees on operating and safety procedures.
- Must be able to understand and apply the labor contract and rules governing the Extra Board.
- Must be proficient in the application of the HASTUS dispatch program.
- Ability to evaluate operational effectiveness and make recommendations for improvements.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and work under pressure.
Degree: Bachelor’s Degree High Desirable
Years: Minimum of 5 years
Field: Business or related field
Field: Customer Service, Supervisory Experience
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.