Line Cook, Riverboats at the Gateway Arch ($16.30/hr + $500 Hiring Incentive)
Line Cooks are responsible for properly preparing and cooking food, maintaining sanitation guidelines, dishwashing, and completing daily tasks in order to provide meals for guests of the Riverboats at the Gateway Arch and Paddlewheel Café.
- Set up and stock food items and other necessary supplies in the Riverboat Galley.
- Prepare food items by cutting, chopping, butchering, mixing, and preparing sauces.
- Cook food items by grilling, frying, sautéing, and other cooking methods to specified recipes and standards.
- Perform portion control and minimize waste to keep cost within forecasted range.
- Ensure that all food is prepared in a high quality and timely manner by restocking ingredients at work station and meeting prep times to ensure smooth delivery.
- Comply with food sanitation requirements by properly handling food and ensuring correct storage.
- Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, and taking out trash.
- Ride the boats and ensure all dishes are clean by end of shift on boat.
- Carry plate-ups from galley to boat, set up buffet, and change out pans on buffet throughout cruise.
- Maintain a clean work station area, including kitchen equipment, tables, and shelves.
- Clean and sanitize cooking surfaces at the end of the shift.
- Perform inventory checks and complete food storage logs.
- Maintain adherence to all applicable FDA and St. Louis Health Department regulations.
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and guests.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned by the Food Services Manager or Kitchen Supervisor.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Must pass alcohol and drug screening.
- Must pass basic background check.
- If not ServSafe Food Handler Certified, will need to obtain certification on the job.
- Willing to work on a moving vessel in water and outdoors (hot and cold environments).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills
- Ability to perform tasks with accuracy, speed, and attention to detail
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills for interacting effectively with guests and coworkers.
- Ability to estimate food item needs and quantities and make accurate mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Must be able to work cooperatively and efficiently in a team.
- Knowledge of food service best practices and cooking methods.
- Ability to use general kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Able to carry/lift up to 50lbs.
- Able to work in a standing position for extended periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to continuously walk up and down stairs, bend, stoop, and work in tight spaces.