Transit Service Manager, Bus Operations
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401k plan
- Employee assistance program
Incumbent is first line supervisor with total route responsibility for an assigned service area. Primary mission is to increase ridership, support assigned MetroBus Operators, engage and support customers, achieve safety, on-time performance, absenteeism, and expense control goals. Collaborates with the other departments and agencies to solve problems affecting Operator performance, optimize productivity and achieve established performance standards. The incumbent reports to the Service Area Manager.
- Responsible for the compliance of any/all MetroBus Operations Division policies, procedures, memos and Agency regulations.
- Sets time and territory priorities in order to support MetroBus Operators, engage and support customers, increase ridership by building positive relationships with businesses and institutions within the service area.
- Responsible for achieving 90% on-time performance. Reviews weekly on-time performance reports and takes corrective action to meet standard.
- Supports Operators by being the primary problem solver collaborating with maintenance for timely equipment repairs, scheduling and planning for improving route schedule problems, facilities maintenance for bus stop or sign issues, safety and training for driver instruction, risk management to encourage workers to return to work quickly, marketing to discover important customer satisfaction information, customer service to resolve customer complaints in a timely manner and labor relations for advice and counsel.
- Responsible for contributing to designated standards for on-time performance, Operator absenteeism standards and worker’s compensation injuries; standards for preventable accidents per quarter; standards for non-preventable accidents per quarter; standards for the number of customer complaints per quarter
- Function as key investigator at accident site involving Agency vehicles to include collection of physical evidence, survey of site, conduct initial interview of witnesses and participants, coordinate with emergency service personnel as Agency’s usual representative on scene, and insure compliance with Agency’s Drug and Alcohol Program policy. Prepare clear and concise reports. Incumbent is responsible for obtaining evidence, identifying facts and other pertinent data and information to assist in determining root cause of accident.
- Provide technical advice and assistance to operators on safety, fare collection, ridership, customer service issues, and other pertinent regulations and performance standards.
- Perform regular operator ride checks to insure operator compliance with established operational and safety requirements.
- Analyze and evaluate schedule maintenance factors, on-time performance issues, bus/train connectivity, and initiate coordinated modifications to scheduled running times. Conduct schedule maintenance checks on a regular basis and in sufficient numbers to provide a statistically significant evaluation.
- Manage the general and unique bus service requirements at special events.
- Surveys restroom facilities, bus stops, bus zones and shelters for obstruction or damage and initiates action to correct deficiencies.
- Manage personnel to maximize professional development of employee; effectively administers training and counsel employees in work standards and performance initiatives to develop individual capabilities and insure compliance with established Agency productivity goals and objectives. Conduct thorough investigations, preside over hearings, take steps to correct non-compliance by administering fair and appropriate discipline and address human resource matters in accordance with Agency policy and procedures.
- Plans and uses financial, material, and personnel resources economically.
- Develops and maintains proficiency in use and application of appropriate information technology resources and safeguards their use.
- Establishes and maintains effective means of coordinating division plans and schedules with other organization units; reports delays and problems promptly and takes appropriate actions to maintain effective coordination of activities; ensures that unit activities do not conflict with organizational goals.
- Develops plans to meet unexpected situations, new developments, and changes in the business environment; prepares for emergencies; anticipates events; understands the factors and conditions affecting the organization and responds appropriately when these changes occur.
- Responsible for supporting emergency passenger accommodations by operating commercial passenger vehicles for the purpose of providing public transit services.
- Communicates understanding and support of organization goals and objectives through actions and spoken and written words; interacts effectively with individuals and groups at all levels; maintains ties with external organizations; keeps all interested and involved parties informed of matters requiring their attention.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable policies, rules, regulations, and laws; stays abreast of legal, regulatory, and policy developments affecting areas of responsibility; enforces legal and regulatory requirements impartially.
- Interacts to instructions and information from a Service Area Manager and/or a Transit Service Manager-Radio Dispatcher while performing service area assignments.
- Compiles and submits regular, clear & concise reports that document daily activities conducted in support of performance objectives.
- Regular, reliable and predictable attendance is required.
- Incumbent will be required to work a rotating schedule and additional hours as business demands necessitates.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to learn Operations Division policies, procedures, Agency regulations and the Union contract.
- Considerable knowledge of the fare structure.
- Considerable knowledge of the street geography of metropolitan St. Louis.
- Ability to evaluate the work of operators.
- Ability to operate an automobile in a safe and courteous manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to evaluate a problem, formulate corrective response, and implement a plan of action to achieve desired results.
- Ability to make decisions. Possess effective customer service skills.
- Ability to work in emergency situations.
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheets, and database management is helpful.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions (EF) of a bus operator.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a CDL permit with Passenger and Air Brakes upon hire.
- Ability to pass the Missouri/Illinois prescribed state examination for a Commercial Driver’s License prior to the start of training is required.
- Successful completion of a DOT (Department of Transportation) physical and drug screen, receiving a 1-year DOT Medical Certificate.
- A CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) and DOT (Department of Transportation) Medical Certificate MUST be maintained.
- Ability to operate commercial passenger vehicles for the purpose of providing public transit services during emergency situations and/or the requirements of the Agency.
- This position is safety sensitive, and is subject to random drug and alcohol screening.
Degree: Bachelor's Degree is highly desirable
Years: Minimum five years
Field: Business, Transportation or related field
Filed: Transit Operations or Customer Service, Supervision
Must be a least 21 years of age, be able to obtain CDL permit with Passenger and Air Brakes, pass a drug & alcohol screen, and able to pass a DOT physical.
For prompt consideration, employees applying for this position must apply online at http://jobs.jobvite.com/bistatedev. Position remains open until filled.
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.