Transit Service Manager – Radio Dispatch
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Uniform allowance
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401k plan
- Employee assistance program
- Eligible employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
To direct the work of operators, TSMs, farebox repairmen, maintenance and other support personnel engaged in providing transportation service to Metro’s customers by receiving, resolving, or referring to the appropriate party’s problems encountered by any and all Operations personnel. To coordinate and manage Metro’s on-street resources 24/7 to achieve the most efficient, safe use of resources possible with the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for the compliance of any/all MetroBus Operations Division policies, procedures, memos and Agency regulations.
- Answer and respond to all radio, phone calls and TransitMaster (AVL) messages.
- Communicate through two-way radio, telephone, TransitMaster (AVL) and computers with Bus Operators, Transit Service Managers, and other Agency staff to provide supervision, instructions or relay information.
- Provide supervision and guidance to Bus Operators, Transit Service Managers and other support personnel in the event of accidents, reroutes, or breakdowns; direct personnel and equipment utilization to prevent unnecessary delays in service to the public.
- Notify appropriate emergency service personnel in the event of fire, accident, public disturbance, telephone, TransitMaster (AVL) or radio problems. Provide instructions, assistance and oversight for emergency situations encountered by Bus Operators and TSMs.
- Support police and other emergency service providers during emergencies by providing coordination of resources and rerouting buses.
- Manage bus station shuttles in the event of MetroLink service interruptions.
- Provide immediate emergency assistance for all situations that arise including lost passengers, elderly passengers, minor children, sick or distressed passengers, and assist in locating lost articles.
- Communicate with the public to provide and obtain information; prepare bulletins and rider alert information for reroutes and other service interruptions
- Respond to all levels of staff and external entities to provide updates, information, status of emergency situations and all other pertinent information as requested.
- Prepare, file and distribute reports arising from bus service activities to appropriate Metro staff.
- Collect, evaluate, prepare and distribute various statistical reports and data including the Vehicle Trouble Log as required on a 24/7 basis.
- Provide time checks, temperature and air conditioning alerts, customer information, updates, scripts, ADA reminders, log weather conditions and wheelchair passenger information.
- Advise other Metro departments of potential improvements to services by communicating schedule, route or service related problems with suggestions for solutions.
- Develops plans to meet unexpected situations, new developments, and changes in the business environment; prepares for emergencies; anticipates events; understands the factors and conditions affecting the organization and responds appropriately when these changes occur.
- Communicate understanding and support of organizational goals through actions and spoken and written words; interact effectively with individuals and groups at all levels; maintain ties with external organizations; keep all interested and involved parties informed of matters requiring their attention.
- Comply with all applicable policies, rules, regulations, and laws: stay abreast of legal, regulatory policy developments affecting areas of responsibility, enforce legal and regulatory requirements impartially.
- Compiles and submits regular, clear & concise reports that document daily activities conducted in support of performance objectives.
- Regular, reliable and predictable attendance is required.
- Incumbent will be required to work a rotating schedule and additional hours as business demands necessitates.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill, & Abilities
- Working knowledge of the street network and geography of metropolitan St. Louis, St. Louis County and Metro East St. Louis.
- Ability to learn, retain and apply Metro’s Operations policies and procedures and the bus service schedules, routes, fare structure, special event plans as well as emergency plans and procedures.
- Ability to work and make decisions under stressful conditions and emergency situations.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple demands for assistance.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities that may include one or more life-threatening situations.
- Ability to quickly evaluate a problem, formulate corrective responses and implement a plan of action to achieve desired results.
- Excellent computer skills in Windows, Word, Excel and database management programs required.
Degree: High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
Years: Five (5) minimum required.
Field: Business, Transportation or related field
Filed: Transit operations, operations supervision, customer service or related field.
Must be a least 21 years of age, be able to pass a drug & alcohol screen, and able to pass a DOT physical.
For prompt consideration, employees applying for this position must apply online at http://jobs.jobvite.com/bistatedev. Position remains open until filled.
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.