Airport Operations Specialist
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Gym Discounts with Club Fitness and OneLife Fitness at Ballpark Village
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401k plan
- Employee assistance program
- Bi-State Development is an eligible employer the for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of a large 14 CFR Part 139 Certified General Aviation Airport. Responsible for ensuring compliance with airport rules and regulations and enforcing legal or regulatory requirements. Responsible for maintaining all airport facilities and grounds to meet or exceed applicable rules, regulations, or regulatory requirements. Responsible for presenting the airport as a World-Class airport serving a wide verity of business interests as the 3rd busiest airport in the State of Illinois and depended upon by travelers around the world.
- Assess the effects of facility conditions on continued safe and efficient airport operations.
- Assist management in the development and implementation of policies and procedures affecting airport maintenance, safety, and security.
- Complete daily job assignments to maintain: Fire Station, Airport Grounds; and Equipment in a clean and serviceable condition.
- Conduct aircraft fuel storage and dispensing systems inspections.
- Conduct fire safety inspection and education programs for airport staff, tenants, and customers.
- Conduct repairs to Airport Owned Faculties such as sheet metal forming and structural repairs.
- Conduct routine and special airport facility inspection and notify airport users of current airfield conditions.
- Coordinate with air traffic control personnel and recommend air operations procedures appropriate to the existing conditions.
- Coordinate with Safety Management Specialist on training, hazard mitigation, and standard operating procedures.
- Drives firefighting and airport equipment in compliance with the laws of the State of Illinois and airport operating procedures.
- Effectively communicate through verbal and written reports and work orders.
- Maintain Airport Owned Facilities such as Aircraft Hangars or Buildings.
- Operate equipment such as: Skid Steer Loader and Tractors with attachments; Snow Plows; Snow Broom; Bucket Loader; Lawn Mowers, man lifts, and other equipment common to facility maintenance.
- Responds to and Controls emergency situations such as: Extinguish fires; Rescue occupants; and provide logistical support.
- Spraying of herbicide and pesticides.
- Tolerate considerable exposure to stressful situations as a result of human behavior while responding to emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Troubleshoot and maintain airfield lighting system.
Knowledge, Skill, & Abilities
- Grounds keeping; Spray painting; Carpentry and plumbing; Problem solving and analytical skills with ability to trouble shoot and repair equipment; Knowledge of safety procedures while operating mowers, tractors and vehicles around an active airport environment; Welding for structural, as well as, sheet metal repairs to metal buildings. Available for Shiftwork, Nights, Weekends, and Holidays.
- Illinois Basic Firefighter; ARFF Certification (Desirable but will train the right candidate); EMT-B (or Medical First Responder) certification; Satisfy the medical condition requirements of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 1582; Secure Class B – CDL within 6 months of hiring; State of Illinois Commercial Applicators License (Training Provided).
Degree: High School Diploma or G.E.D. required
Years: Three (3) required. One (1) year of ARFF experience desirable.
Field: General Maintenance, Aircraft rescue and firefighting or related field.
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.