Transit Service Manager-Light Rail (Line Manager)
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Free access to 9 gyms at our facilities 24/7 with Personal Trainers available
- Discounted memberships with Club Fitness
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Discounted cellular phone service
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401(k plan
- Employee assistance program
- Eligible for federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
Directs the work of light rail vehicle operators in the MetroLink Operations section.
- Review and evaluate operating activities and recommend changes to enhance operations, including special events.
- Prepare daily reports on operations activities including attendance, absenteeism, on-time performance, and security and fare enforcement coverage.
- Prepare incident and special reports arising from train service activities including safety, vehicle accidents and employee or passenger injuries. Investigate accidents and customer complaints.
- Monitor stations, platforms, elevators/escalators, emergency telephones and ticket vending machines and report any defects. Respond to emergency alarms.
- Train employees on operating procedures, equipment operations and emergency procedures.
- Plan, direct, coordinate and control the work of employees in the section and prepare periodic observation reports. Monitor non-Metro employees to regulate safety and rule adherence.
- Report delays and problems promptly and take appropriate actions to correct performance and maintain schedules.
- Assist passengers and ensure safe, efficient and courteous service is provided.
- Conduct grievance hearings in accordance with appropriate Labor Agreements.
- Develop and implement procedures and schedules to regulate the activities of light rail vehicle operators; assist in the developing and implementing performance standards for light rail operators and evaluate employee productivity and performance against established standards.
- Assist in the preparation of safety procedures, rules and regulations for light rail operations; participate in emergency situations involving vehicles, equipment and passengers; notify appropriate persons in the event of emergency
Knowledge, Skill, & Abilities
- Must be able to pass LRV Operator training course and re-qualify as directed.
- Must be able to secure and maintain a Missouri or Illinois CDL.
- Ability to learn the day-to-day operation of a light rail system, the collective bargaining agreement covering light rail vehicle operators, the safety regulations governing a light rail operation, agency regulations and guidelines, train service schedules and fare structure.
- Ability to evaluate the work of employees, develop procedures, rules and schedules and instruct employees on operating and safety procedures.
- Ability to evaluate program effectiveness and make recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and work under pressure. Capacity to perform duties in a field environment, which can include outdoor working conditions and varying schedule.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions (EF) of a bus operator. Possess a valid driver’s license and a CDL permit upon hire. Ability to pass the Missouri/Illinois prescribed state examination for a Commercial Driver’s License prior to the start of training is required. Successful completion of a DOT (Department of Transportation) physical and drug screen, receiving a 1-year DOT Medical Certificate. A CDL (Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger and Air Brakes) DOT (Department of Transportation) Medical Certificate MUST be maintained. Ability to operate commercial passenger vehicles for the purpose of providing public transit services during emergency situations and/or the requirements of the Agency. This position is safety sensitive, and is subject to random drug and alcohol screening.
Degree: Bachelor’s Degree Highly Desirable
Years: Minimum of 5 years
Field: Business or related field
Field: Customer Service, Supervisory Experience
Bi-State Development is an equal opportunity/ access / affirmative action/ pro-disabled and veteran employer.
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.