$2,000 HIRING BONUS, APPLY TODAY!!!
$17.85 per hour
The Metro Call-A-Ride Team is searching for dedicated Full Time Van Operators!
If you’re interested in a fulfilling career, enjoy caring for others and want to use your skills to make a difference in our community, then this opportunity may be for you.
Metro Van Operators do far more than simply drive our customers to their destinations; they care for a community of passengers, from greeting to goodbye, assuring they feel welcome and safe. If you have a talent for connecting with people, enjoy working with the disabled community and individuals with special needs, and want a career you can take pride in—climb in the driver’s seat as a Metro Van Operator, and take your future to new and fulfilling places.
Start the new year with a $2,000 hiring bonus, $17.85/hr minimum starting pay.
Plus enjoy a full range of benefits, including medical/dental/vision coverage, paid time off, additional opportunities to earn bonuses, and so much more.
License requirement for MO : Class E (before first day)
License requirement for IL: Class D (before first day)
Metro Transit provides transportation throughout the bi-state area to tens of thousands of riders every day. These passengers rely on the Metro Transit system, and more than 2,000 Metro professionals to keep their life and their communities moving forward.
Our fleet of more than 600 Metro Transit trains, buses and vans are operated, maintained, and protected by bus/van operators, security personnel, customer service, mechanics, and engineers—a team ranging widely in age, experience and professional specialty, but are united by shared passion for the community they serve.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive wage
- Gym Discounts with Club Fitness and OneLife Fitness at Ballpark Village
- 24 hour access to our 9 onsite gyms
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Discounted Cell Phone service
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Uniform allowance
- Employee assistance program
- Bi-State Development is an eligible employer the for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
- Drive van to transport passengers over varying routes to local or distant points according to a time schedule; by operating the van skillfully and safely.
- Inspect the van before every trip, which includes monitoring and adjusting vehicle gauges and controls.
- Answer questions regarding service, fares, and etc.; including greeting passengers.
- Maintain good relations with the general public, particularly the elderly and disabled.
- Direct and control passengers, when needed.
- Assist disabled and elderly passengers on/off the van, if needed.
- Evacuate passengers in case of an emergency.
- Operating a wheelchair lift and hand radio.
- Secure child seats for small children.
- Issue transfers and short-fare receipts.
- Complete cash tickets, collecting fares, and counting tickets.
- Deposit moneybag in vault.
- Record passenger data, fares, and vehicle statistics.
- Read street map guide, time schedule, street signs, traffic signs, instructions and passes.
- Write accident reports, incident reports and daily reports on passengers, fares and vehicle statistics.
- Develop most efficient routes between points; reports vehicular delays and/or accidents.
- Follow written and oral instructions completely.
- Must have the ability to work nights, weekends and holidays.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
- At least 18 years of age and Physically qualified to safely operate a motor vehicle in accordance with U.S. Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Possess a valid driver's license and ability to obtain an appropriate chauffeur's license.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential functions required for this position.
Qualified applicants must pass the pre-screen process, which includes, a personal interview, background check, and pre-employment Department of Transportation (DOT) physical and drug screen, and Essential Functions testing.
A DOT physical exam and drug test is required and is available at no cost to you. Successful candidates must receive a one-year Department of Transportation (DOT) card or better.
- If you have high blood pressure that is being treated and is under control and you receive a 1 year DOT, you will be eligible for employment.
- All Metro driver seats are designed for a maximum weight capacity of 325 pounds. If you weigh more than 325 pounds, you will not be hired.
- If you wear prescription glasses or contacts, make sure you bring them for the exam.
- If you have hearing aid(s), bring them with you to the exam.
- If you take blood thinners such as Warfarin or Coumadin, bring documentation that your INR has been regulated for at least the last month.
- If you have diabetes, bring documentation of A1C of less than 8. Documentation must be less than 6 months old. An A1C can also be drawn at Barnes Care for $18.00. Results will be available next business day.
- If you have been diagnosed with heart disease or heart attack or other cardiovascular condition bring a copy of your recent cardiac stress test results completed within the last two years.
- If you have had heart surgery (valve replacement /bypass, angioplasty) bring a letter from your cardiologist clearing you to drive a commercial vehicle.
- If you have a pacemaker, bring documentation of annual pacemaker check.
- If you have been diagnosed with a nervous or psychiatric disorder, bring a letter from your psychiatrist clearing you to drive a commercial vehicle.
- If you have been diagnosed with seizures or epilepsy, bring documentation from your treating provider that you have been seizure free without taking seizure medication for 10 years.
- If you are on any prescription medications, bring the list of medication names with you.
Degree: High School or GED
Years: 1 to 2 years
Filed: Transit Operations or Customer Service
Must be a least 18 years of age, able to pass a drug & alcohol screen, and able to obtain the required DOT certification.
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.