Supervisor of Rail & R.O.W. Maintenance
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Free access to 9 gyms at our facilities 24-7 as well with Personal Trainers available
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Discounted cellular phone service
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Uniform allowance
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401k plan
- Employee assistance program
- Bi-State Development is an eligible employer the for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
First-line supervisor managing the work of track maintainers and contractors engaged in the repair, inspection, maintenance, and construction of light rail track, roadbed, right-of way, and structures; ensuring that it is maintained to the highest applicable safety, industry, government, manufacturer, and Metro standards.
- Supervises daily activities of track maintainers. Develops Metro employees so that they are properly trained to safely and efficiently inspect and maintain the Metro Rail System and its associated structures.
- Supervises and ensures all inspection reports are completed and filed for tracks, related drainage structures, trees, paving, utilities, bridges, tunnels, underpasses and other elements related to maintaining a safe right of way for trains.
- Prepares and submits written reports of inspection variances including remediation recommendations to Manager/Superintendent of Rail ROW Maintenance.
- Recommends safety procedures and standard practices to ensure maintenance activities proceed safely and efficiently. Support Metro’s Safety program and may serve on the safety Compliance Committee.
- Supervises and executes maintenance projects within schedules and budgets utilizing work windows allowed by operating and staffing considerations (e.g., vacation and holidays).
- Inspect the quality of installed track and associated documentation, ensuring installation meets all applicable manufacturer, industry, government, and agency standards.
- Provide internal and external customer service for all persons, contractors, and other Metro departments who interface with Metro’s right of way.
- Monitors maintenance contractors and subordinate performances, takes appropriate actions to correct performance and adjust output to meet Metro requirements.
- Ensure safe operating conditions for track and provide safety certification of all operating track. This includes recommending train speed restrictions to Metro management when track conditions warrant.
- Manage material ensuring adequate stocking levels to meet supply demands realizing the best value for each maintenance dollar.
- Performs field inspections to ensure effective implementation of maintenance activities.
- Participate in the grievance process as appropriate and designated in the ATU/Metro contract.
- Participate in the interviewing and selection process for track maintainers and make hiring recommendations to Manager/Superintendent.
- Recommend counseling and corrective action disciplinary steps for maintainers. Deliver appropriate discipline as necessary.
- Provide support to other Maintenance of Way Departments.
Assist in special projects and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill, & Abilities
- Knowledge of safe railroad operation, track inspection, bridge inspection, surveying, erosion control and hydrology.
- Knowledge and skill of safely distressing track, rail welding and grinding (field welding of rail ends, engine burns, switch points, frogs).
- Knowledge and skilled on the maintenance and safe use of track hand tools, small machine tools including (gas, electric and hydraulic).
- Knowledge and skilled on the maintenance and safe use large track machines (rotary dump, tamper, compactor, ballast regulator, backhoe).
- Knowledge of local, state and federal track regulations.
- Knowledge of the proper procedures to correct and track related defects.
- Knowledge of the impact of signals, traction power and rail operations on track operation and maintenance.
- Skilled at identifying and rectifying track related problems.
- Skilled at evaluating and reviewing track specifications and drawings.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to work under pressure.
- Ability and skill dealing with personnel and track related problems in a safe manner.
- Ability to use PC based programs as Word, Excel, and E-mail.
- Skilled at managing represented personnel.
- Ability to obtain a CDL Class A license.
- Ability to work in any weather conditions, at any time of the day or night.
- Ability to report for emergency duty 24/7
- Ability to walk at least twenty miles per week over ballast track and uneven surfaces.
Must be available to work varying shifts.
Degree: Two-year college or technical highly desirable.
Years: Minimum Three (3) to five (5) years required.
Field: Civil/Mechanical Engineering Technology
Filed: Track Maintenance Construction & Inspections
For prompt consideration, employees applying for this position must apply online at www.bistatedev.org. Position remains open until filled.
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.