Transit Service Manager – Station Dispatcher
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Gym Discounts with Club Fitness and OneLife Fitness at Ballpark Village
- 24 hour access to our 9 onsite gyms
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Discounted Cell Phone service
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401k plan
- Employee assistance program
- Bi-State Development is an eligible employer the for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
Incumbent is first line supervisor responsible for increasing ridership, supporting assigned MetroBus Operators, achieving safety, on-time performance, absenteeism and expense control goals. Insures safe, reliable, hospitable, timely bus service is provided to transit service customers through the planning and evaluation of manpower availability and the daily and weekly assignment of work to the division’s bus operators in compliance with established procedures, contractual requirements, and quality control measures. Collaborates with the other departments and agencies to solve problems affecting Operator performance, optimizes productivity and achieves established performance standards. The incumbent reports to the Superintendent of Operations.
- Sets time and work assignments and priorities in order to support bus operators, increase ridership, and meet performance standards.
- Familiar with on-time performance reports and takes corrective action to meet standard.
- Supports bus operators by being an initial and key problem solver collaborating with maintenance for timely equipment repairs, scheduling and planning for improving route schedule problems, facilities maintenance for bus stop or sign issues, safety and training for driver instruction, risk management to encourage workers to return to work quickly, marketing to discover important customer satisfaction information, customer service to resolve customer complaints in a timely manner and labor relations for advice and counsel.
- Responsible for contributing to designated standards for on-time performance, Operator absenteeism and workers’ compensation injuries; preventable and non-preventable accidents per quarter; number of customer complaints and commendations per quarter
- Insures compliance with Agency’s Drug and Alcohol and Docs on Call Programs and policies. Incumbent is responsible for safeguarding evidence, identifying facts and other pertinent data and information to assist in determining root cause of accident. .
- Provides technical advice and assistance to subordinates on safety, fare collection, ridership, customer service issues, and other pertinent regulations and performance standards.
- Assists operators in understanding and adjusting to schedule maintenance factors, on-time performance issues, bus/train connectivity, and coordinates modifications to scheduled running times.
- Plan and schedule the general and unique bus service requirements at special events.
- Manages personnel to maximize professional development of employee; effectively administers training and counsels employees in work standards and performance initiatives to develop individual capabilities and insures compliance with established Agency productivity goals and objectives.
- Plans and evaluates manpower availability and directs the weekly, daily, and emergent assignment of work to the division’s bus operators in compliance with established procedures, contractual requirements, and quality control measures.
- Schedules and assigns work to subordinates using computerized dispatching tool, HASTUS. Monitors the individual qualifications and eligibility of bus operators to include the issuance of instructions to operators regarding route characteristics, uniform and personal appearance, performance expectations, DOT physical requirements, Missouri Department of Revenue licensing stipulations, and operator compliance with established procedures and policies.
- Exercise direct influence over the division’s operating budget of over $12M through work assignments to operators according to their eligibility to include show up time, make up time, and overtime assignments.
- Organize work process, methods, and quality control measures to monitor and enhance division and system performance along with its adherence to established service procedures and performance objectives.
- Prepare and insure the accuracy of daily and weekly documents to report operator vacations, absences and sick time, overtime expenditures, extra board assignments, attendance, punctuality, payroll actions, and temporary work assignments.
- Manage & Maintain operators’ attendance records via computer. Provides operators with notices of attendance infractions.
- Establishes and maintains effective means of coordinating division plans and schedules with other organization units; reports delays and problems promptly and takes appropriate actions to maintain effective coordination of activities; ensures that unit activities do not conflict with organizational goals.
- Develops plans to meet unexpected situations, new developments, and changes in the business environment; prepares for emergencies; anticipates events; understands the factors and conditions affecting the organization and responds appropriately when these changes occur.
- Communicates understanding and support of organization goals and objectives through actions and spoken and written words;
- Ensures compliance with all applicable policies, rules, regulations, and laws; stays abreast of legal, regulatory, and policy developments affecting areas of responsibility; enforces legal and regulatory requirements impartially.
- Coordinates instructions and information between a Transit Service Manager-Radio Dispatcher and bus operators as necessary.
- Compiles and submits periodic reports that document daily activities conducted in support of performance objectives.
- Regular, reliable and predictable attendance is required.
- Incumbent will be required to work a rotating schedule and additional hours as business demands necessitate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill, & Abilities
- Knowledge of Operations Division policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Agency policies, procedures, and applicable transit industry regulations.
- Knowledge of station and system bus operations.
- Knowledge of current collective bargaining agreement and relevant labor laws.
- Knowledge of the fare structure.
- Knowledge of the street geography of metropolitan St. Louis.
- Knowledge of basic managerial and supervisory principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of Agency documents and payroll procedures.
- Knowledge of local emergency agencies and procedures.
- Experience in logistics and/or transportation principles and concepts.
- Experience in management and/or supervising a large group of people.
- Experience in assimilating information, analyzing response alternatives, and formulating corrective actions in order to achieve desired results.
- Experience in using customer service skills.
- Ability to accurately evaluate to work of subordinates.
- Ability to operate an automobile and bus in a safe manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to assimilate information quickly, determines alternate courses of action, and formulate an appropriate response based on available information in a time-sensitive environment.
- Computer skill in word processing, spreadsheets, and database management.
Degree: Bachelor's Degree is highly desirable
Years: Five (5) minimum required.
Field: Business, Transportation or related field
Filed: Transit operations, operations supervision, customer service or related field.
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.