Civil-Structural Project Manager
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Hybrid work-from-home schedules may be available depending on project status.
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Gym Discounts with Club Fitness and OneLife Fitness at Ballpark Village
- 24 hour access to our 9 onsite gyms
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Discounted Cell Phone service
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401k plan
- Employee assistance program
- Bi-State Development is an eligible employer for the Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
Assist in monitoring activities of consultants, contractors, and Agency employees engaged in the design, construction, and/or rehabilitation of facility or transit-related civil and structural assets. Asset examples include: : bus or light rail vehicle maintenance facility buildings, transit centers, transit stations, operator convenience buildings, storage buildings, parking lots, retaining walls, bridges, tunnels, and drainage structures.
Responsibilities will include: developing project design phase and/or construction documents, assisting with hiring and management of consultants and contractors, administering contracts to ensure timely delivery of project deliverables within project budget and schedules, meeting project and organizational goals, and providing project guidance including material testing, and asset safety certification.
- Work with the Sr. Director Project Quality Assurance and Quality Control on prioritization of project work. Keep the Sr. Director informed on progress with assigned work. Escalate challenges and problems promptly and ask for guidance on prioritization or direction as needed.
- Assist the Sr. Director Project Quality Assurance and Quality Control on all tasks. Coordinates with the Sr. Director to insure adherence to schedules and budgets.
- Act as primary point of contact between contractors and the project designers. Responsible to coordinate timely response of field inquiries. Verify that the responses are documented in the contract documents.
- Coordinate and plan all major civil and structural improvements by validating proper procedures are documented and followed through deployment to production.
- Write and maintain documentation for project procedures, installations, and improvements.
- Analyze existing civil and structural assets to identify potential improvements. Recommend service life improvements and resolutions by identifying better-quality alternatives.
- Provide direction for all aspects of civil or structural asset replacement or rehabilitation. Mentor and assist other team members.
- Maintain understanding of all aspects of the contract and of the progress of the work, including; status of work items with regard to the contractor’s approved schedule, inter-relationships of various contractor and subcontractors’ activities, the current overall status of completion and the probable project completion date.
- Perform site inspections and ensure that the contractors complete their work in accordance with the technical plans and specifications, while complying with their respective safety and QA/QC plans.
- Review plans and specifications to determine adequacy and adherence to acceptable standards and practices. Recommends approval of variations from plans and specifications made necessary by contingencies arising after project is initiated. Assist in implementation of approved changes in plans, as appropriate, in relation to field conditions in order to complete project in accordance with sound and approved engineering and construction practices.
- Communicate understanding and support of organization goals through actions and spoken and written words; interact effectively with individuals and groups at all levels; maintain ties with external organizations; keep all interested and involved parties informed of matters requiring their attention.
- Prepare project correspondence, progress reports and other documents, records, and reports on status or problems in the field and ensure that competent project personnel are on duty at all required times.
- Implement established means of coordinating project plan and schedules with other projects activities; report delays and problems promptly and take appropriate actions to maintain effective coordination of activities; ensure that activities do not conflict with organization goals.
- Meet with Agency management officials and staff to advise on work activities and resolve problems impacting the scheduled completion of the project.
- Attend periodic conferences with engineers, subject matter experts and contractors to discuss projects, specifications, unusual conditions, contractor’s plan and schedule of operations and other pertinent items conducive to a clear understanding of a project.
- Develop plans to meet unexpected situations, new developments and changes in the business environment; prepare for emergencies; anticipate events; understand the factors and conditions affecting the project and respond appropriately when these change.
- Manage Agency staff responsible for carrying out these activities.
- Travel as needed to Agency facilities and asset locations to investigate issues and monitor on-site work.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Sr. Director.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of engineering design and construction project management.
- Knowledge of building materials, construction practices, and techniques.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations governing construction activities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with Agency management.
- Experience in computer aided drafting and cost estimating.
- Experience in using personal computer.
- Ability to read and understand project drawings, specifications, and other contract documents.
- Ability to use computer software for word processing, scheduling, spreadsheet and database applications.
Degree: Bachelor of Science required
Years: 10+ years required
Field: Civil Engineering or related field
Field: Civil and Structural Engineering, Engineering Technology or related field
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.