The primary focus of this position is to assist in the maintenance of the presence, equipment, machinery and operation of the Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher riverboats to ensure a safe, clean and enjoyable experience for guests. This position is part of the U.S. Coast Guard required operational and emergency crew.
- Under the Riverboat Mate’s direction, ensure that a safe boarding/departure and arrival/disembarkation is accomplished by greeting the passengers with a friendly and cheerful attitude, ensuring an accurate passenger count is taken, and properly handling of the gangway, bow gates, side doors, and mooring lines.
- Maintain highest standards of competence, professionalism, personal grooming and personal conduct to guests, employees, regulators, and management staff.
- Know the location and operation of all the safety equipment, including fire extinguishers, fire and bilge pumps, fire hoses, emergency lights, first aid supplies and rescue equipment. Know the locations of all lifejackets and how to assist passengers in properly donning the life jackets.
- Participate in drills to maintain a high state of readiness to respond to fire, man overboard, collision, grounding, flooding, abandon ship, medical incidents and other emergencies.
- Responsible for informing the Riverboat Mate or Captain of all conditions regarding the vessel, including weather, traffic, vessel equipment, passengers and crew.
- Wear the proper, clean and presentable uniform and be well groomed at all times. When handling lines or working outside the rail, a work vest or personal flotation device shall be worn.
- Responsible for the cleanliness and safety of the vessel inside and outside. Responsible for removal of trash, and cleaning of windows, rest rooms, carpets, tables, chairs, Pilot house, decks and handrails. These areas must be kept clean at all times.
- When assigned, responsible for the upkeep and cleanliness of the café and dock including seating areas, restrooms and boarding area.
- Provide assistance to any other department in need, i.e. washing dishes, loading of food and beverage product on to vessels, serving food, etc.
- Perform all duties assigned in a professional, efficient and timely manner. Comply with all policies and procedures of the Riverboats at the Gateway Arch.
- Mandatory work holidays: Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July, Labor Day weekend, New Year’s Eve; although we attempt to be as flexible as possible in scheduling, it is difficult to receive time off around the holidays.
Excellent Communication Skills: Effectively convey information and possess good public speaking skills Time Management Skills: Effectively managing your time First-Aid Skills: Ability to respond to First Aid and accurately follow orders Initiative: Ability to make decisions independently Knowledge of Rules and Regulations: Ability to understand good seamanship rules Facilities Management: Ability to routinely check machinery, haul hoses and moor lines in all types of weather conditions during the daylight and night in confined, noisy, and hot spaces. Physical Requirements: Ability to stand four (4) hours and walk four (4) hours in an eight-hour day. Ability to routinely bend, stretch, crawl, climb, kneel, and lift heavy objects (over 50 pounds). Ability to physically participate in all Coast Guard drills.