Bus Operator –Full Time
A $2,000 HIRING BONUS IS JUST THE BEGINNING…
Metro Transit is searching for Full Time Bus Operators to join our team! If you’re interested in a fulfilling career, love people and enjoy using your skills to make a difference in our community, then this opportunity may be for you.
Metro Bus Operators do far more than simply drive customers to their destinations; they take the ride with them, from greeting to goodbye. Our Operators connect with customers every day to assure they feel safe and welcome. If you have a talent for connecting with people, a passion for our region and want a career you can take pride in—climb in the driver’s seat as a Metro Bus Operator, and take your future to new and exciting places.
$18.53/hr minimum starting pay, uniform allowance + $2,000 hiring bonus!
Plus enjoy a full range of benefits, including medical/dental/vision coverage, paid time off, additional opportunities to earn bonuses, and so much more.
Metro Transit provides transportation throughout the bi-state area to tens of thousands of riders every day. These passengers rely on the Metro Transit system, and more than 2,000 Metro professionals to keep their life and their communities moving forward.
Our fleet of more than 600 Metro Transit trains, buses and vans are operated, maintained, and protected by bus/van operators, security personnel, customer service, mechanics, and engineers—a team ranging widely in age, experience and professional specialty, but are united by shared passion for the community they serve.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive wage
- Gym Discounts with Club Fitness and OneLife Fitness at Ballpark Village
- 24 hour access to our 9 onsite gyms
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Discounted Cell Phone service
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Uniform allowance
- Employee assistance program
- Bi-State Development is an eligible employer the for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
- Drives bus to transport passengers over specified routes to local or distant points according to time schedule.
- Operates bus skillfully and safely.
- Answers questions regarding service, routes, fares, points of interest, etc.
- Maintain good relations with general public.
- Announces stops.
- Directs and controls passengers.
- Read time schedules, street signs, traffic signs, head signs, bus passes and instructions.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- Adjust temperature gauges and controls for passenger comfort.
- Operates head sign.
- Operates wheelchair lift and hand radio.
- Secures passenger wheelchairs.
- Inspects bus before trip.
- Writes accident reports.
- Issues transfers.
- Memorizes routes and fare structure.
- Makes mental mathematical computations.
- Verifies amount of fare entered into fare box.
- Records passenger data.
- Reports vehicular delays and/or accidents.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
- Physically qualified to safely operate a motor vehicle in accordance with U.S. Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and possess the ability to pass the Missouri/Illinois prescribed state examination for Commercial Driver’s License prior to start of training.
- At least one year of successful customer service experience.
- Minimum of three years related driving experience.
- Ability to read, tell time, understand and follow verbal and written instructions, make routine arithmetical monetary computations.
- Ability to work under pressure and adept to change.
- Successful applicants must pass pre-screen, oral interview and pre-employment DOT physical and drug screen.
Degree: High School or GED
Years: 1 to 2 years
Filed: Transit Operations or Customer Service
Must be a least 21 years of age, able to pass a drug & alcohol screen, and able to obtain the required DOT certification.
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.