Kitchen Supervisor: Riverboats at the Gateway Arch ($18.00/hr + $500 Hiring Incentive)
This position is responsible for supervising food service operations at the Riverboats as the Gateway Arch. The Kitchen Supervisor will be the acting leadership when the Executive Chef is unavailable. Duties consist of properly preparing and cooking food, maintaining sanitation guidelines, and supervising all kitchen staff in completing daily tasks in order to provide meals for guests of the Riverboats and Paddlewheel Café.
- Oversee food preparation activities in the kitchen that involve planning, production, and delivery of food
- Manage and coordinate work schedules for galley employees.
- Conduct regular inspections of the kitchen to determine whether proper standards of hygiene and sanitation are maintained.
- Oversee food preparation, presentation, and storage to ensure compliance with food health and safety regulations.
- Check in on dining guests to enquire about food quality and service (comment cards).
- Monitor inventory and ensure all food supplies and other restaurant essentials are adequately stocked.
- Resolve customer complaints in a professional manner.
- Resolve employee issues in professional and ethical manner.
- Oversee preparation of food
- Ensure that proper sanitary principles and safety rules are being observed.
- Aid Executive Chef with inventory management
- Ensure that proper record keeping procedures are followed including timesheets, absence reports, temp and sanitation logs and supporting documents are completed accurately in a timely manner.
- Coach team members when necessary to achieve department goals.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned by the Executive Chef.
- Maintain adherence to all applicable FDA and St. Louis Health Department regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to estimate food item needs and quantities and make accurate mathematical calculations.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and evaluate data and operate standard office equipment and food service/utensils.
- Ability to work productively with little to no supervision.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills for interacting effectively with guests and employees.
- Ability to create effective written and oral reports.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices, including staff evaluation techniques, principles of quantity food preparation and nutrition, procedures followed in ordering, receiving, and storing foods, food terminology, markets, and commodities.
- Prior paid supervisory experience in the preparation and serving of large quantities of food.
- If not ServSafe Manager Certified, will need to obtain certification before first day.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred . Certificate preferred.
One (1) year experience as a line or prep cook required.
Food Service Contamination, Culinary Degree.
Food and Beverage Department of hotel, banquet facility, Restaurant or other related venue.
$500 Hiring Incentive
- 1st payment - $150 following successful completion of 30 days of employment
- 2nd payment - $150 following successful completion of 90 days of employment
- 3rd payment - $200 following successful completion of 150 days of employment
*Employees must work at least 15.5 hours per week to be eligible
- All employees receive a FREE Metro Transit pass. Good for unlimited rides on MetroLink and MetroBus.
- Parking Discount at local garage.
- Discount at Arch Café.
- Discount at Paddlewheel Café.
- Discount at JNPA Stores.
- 2 St. Louis Riverfront Cruise tickets.
- BOGO Discount for Skyline Dinner Cruise.
Typical Summer Season (Memorial Day to Labor Day) Hours of Operation are 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Typical Winter Season (Labor Day to Memorial Day) Hours of Operation are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
Busiest Times of the Year:
- Memorial Day Weekend
- Fourth of July
- Last 2 weeks in July
- First 2 weeks in August
- Labor Day Weekend
- Thanksgiving Weekend
- Christmas through New Year's Eve
*It is important to note that although we attempt to be as flexible as possible in scheduling, it is difficult to receive time off around holidays.
Bi-State Development is an equal opportunity/ access / affirmative action/ pro-disabled and veteran employer. Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.