Gateway Arch Director of Operations
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Gym Discounts with Club Fitness and OneLife Fitness at Ballpark Village
- 24 hour access to our 9 onsite gyms
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Discounted Cell Phone service
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401k plan
- Employee assistance program
- Bi-State Development is an eligible employer for the Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
Develop, advance, and operate world-class, financially successful, leading edge educational and entertainment venues. Develop, propose, evaluate and obtain approval of short and long-term operational plans and programs for operations at the Gateway Arch and on/around the Gateway Arch campus. Guide the development and implementation of innovative revenue generating strategies. Plan and direct the process of new attraction and product development on/around Gateway Arch National Park. Accountable for achieving short and long-range financial performance and growth for the Gateway Arch Transportation System, Ticket Center, and other assigned campus operations.
- Direct responsibility for the safe and profitable operations of the Gateway Arch Transportation System, Revenue Collection Facilities, Gateway Arch Call Center, and other Gateway Arch campus operations/activities as assigned.
- Work with National Park Service Facility Management and Arch Tram System Maintenance team to schedule short and long-term tram availability, based on scheduled maintenance and capital improvements.
- Based on annual tram availability schedule, forecast attendance and develop budgets that meet expense needs, revenue generation to fund operating and capital expenditures; fund Beneficial Fund, and growth in management fee returned to Bi-State.
- Assess pricing and travel trends for similar attractions and sites, at the local, regional, and national level to develop Gateway Arch ticket pricing strategy to gain consensus with National Park Service management.
- Prepare, justify and administer operating and capital budgets. Manage and oversee $10 million in operating revenues, $7 million in operating expenses, and over $9 million in capital budget in FY 2021 and 2022.
- Continually audit the collection of revenue, reconciliation of ticket sales, and depositing of revenues and expenditures; National Park Service invoices; and event popularity.
- Initiate innovative development and operational programs that lead to generating increased revenue and /or guest satisfaction.
- Coach, mentor and develop 125 professional full-time, part-time, and seasonal employees operating the Arch Transportation System, Revenue Collection and Reservation Facilities, and other assigned Gateway Arch campus operations/activities. Develop and train employees to effectively implement innovative guest experience programs.
- Develop and implement operational procedures and standards for assigned Gateway Arch campus operations/activities.
- Foster positive operational partnerships with National Park Service, Jefferson National Parks Association, Gateway Arch Park Foundation, Explore St. Louis, Arch Café, and Great Rivers Greenway.
- Daily resolution of operational, personnel and guest service issues with management from National Park Service, Jefferson National Parks Association, Gateway Arch Park Foundation, and other partners.
- Provide technical/operational support and expertise to other Bi-State divisions, National Park Service, and other Gateway Arch Alliance partners.
- Stay current on industry best practices through memberships with national, regional, and local professional associations, including International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA), Zoo Museum District (ZMD), St. Louis Attractions Association (SLAA).
- Procure or contract with individuals or companies to provide services and/or repairs as needed.
- Deploy and oversee administration of leading edge technology supporting the 7x24 mission critical systems for assigned Gateway Arch campus operations/activities. Develop short-and long-term system & technology goals and objectives. Plan and coordinate IT activities within operating facilities. Develop conversion and rollout approach for new systems. Align system improvement project to close performance shortfalls.
- As requested, serve as a spokesperson for public and media relations efforts
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Disposition: requires high energy level and ability to sustain enthusiastic, optimistic approach. Strategic-thinker, inventive, creative, dynamic, adaptive, and flexible
- Excellent Communication Skills: ability to convey information effectively orally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to interact effectively with others including listening and understanding; ability to establish credibility and trust
- Coordination: communicating with others to understand the goals and plans of other units and to allow adjustment of activities
- Industry knowledge: knowledge of/familiarity with hospitality, tourism, and/or attractions industries
- Leadership skills: planning, coordinating, and leading others in carrying out plans and objectives; proficient in the simultaneous management of diverse products /services/operations
- Financial planning: ability to develop budgets and financial objectives by reviewing financial data
- Creativity: ability to generate new ideas
- Judgment and Decision-making: ability to gather and weigh significant information to come up with an effective decision
- Knowledge of facilities management: knowledge of principles and methods involved in maintaining, repairing, and replacing facilities and systems
- Customer Service: knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and customer satisfaction evaluation techniques
- Time management skills: effectively managing own and others’ time
- Outcome-orientation: accountable for results of efforts and activities, concern for goal achievement
- Initiative: ability to work independently to develop and implement new business strategies, policies and procedures
- Technology: knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office Suite tools, CRM applications, and development and implementation of integrated ticketing systems for point-of-sale, call center and web sales
- Industry certifications: Progress towards, and/or completion of, Certified Attractions Executive (IAAPA)
- Work hours: Ability to work non-traditional schedule including nights and weekends as needed
- PR/Media Relations Skills: ability to professionally serve as spokesperson for print, radio, social media, and TV.
Degree: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
Years: Fifteen (15) years management experience required.
Field: Business Administration, Public Policy or related field.
Field: Business Administration, Tourism, Hospitality, or related field.
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.