Director, Riverboats at the Gateway Arch
Full-time employment opportunity with a dynamic and multi-faceted resource for economic development in the St. Louis region.
Since 1950, we have partnered with private and public organizations on hundreds of projects that have created thousands of jobs on both sides of the Mississippi River.
BSD operates with a focus on making a positive impact on the region and the nation, better connecting the Bi-State area to the rest of the world. We are impacting neighborhoods, large and small, in Illinois and in Missouri, with investments that are shaped by our unique perspective of the region and its potential.
Why Work Here
- Work for a company that strives to make a positive impact in the region
- Earn competitive salary
- Gym Discounts with Club Fitness and OneLife Fitness at Ballpark Village
- 24 hour access to our 9 onsite gyms
- Wellness program that provides free health screenings
- Discounted Cell Phone service
- Free MetroLink and MetroBus access
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage effective on your 1st day
- 4 weeks earned PTO
- Your Birthday is a floating holiday
- Company sponsored 401k plan with company match
- Employee assistance program
- Bi-State Development is an eligible employer the for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program
This senior level position is responsible for developing, advancing, and operating financially successful, customer-focused hospitality and tourism venues. The primary focus of this position is to develop, execute, and evaluate short and long term strategic plans for the Riverboats and other operations on/around the St. Louis Riverfront including the heliport. In collaboration with other members of the Tourism Innovation Division management staff, this position will lead the process for the development of new attractions, new products, and innovative revenue generating strategies. Accountable for achieving financial goals for primary revenue sources including cruises, retail, food and beverage, private events, and other income sources. Provide leadership support for the use and advancement of technology used for the mission critical systems for assigned operations. Lead and support a customer-focused culture through staff accountability, training, and development at all levels of the organization. Ensure the first class presentation of assigned facilities at all times.
- Monitor tourism, hospitality, riverboat, and river industry trends and developments to assist in the development and implementation of new products or services and promoting regional economic development.
- Direct responsibility for the safe and profitable operations of the Riverboats, public use heliport, concession sightseeing helicopter flights and other operations/activities as assigned.
- Prepare, justify and administer three year operating and capital budgets for assigned operations.
- For annual operating budget, forecast ticket sales for cruises, retail sales, food and beverage sales, and private event revenue.
- For annual capital budget, forecast anticipated facilities improvements as well as regulatory (USCG) inspections and repairs.
- Continually monitor and audit the collection of revenue, reconciliation of ticket sales, depositing of revenues, expenditures, and event popularity.
- Coach, manage, and develop all staff (75 full-time, part-time, and seasonal employees) operating assigned operations.
- Set expectations for and continually monitor and improve customer service for all aspects of assigned operations.
- Ensure on-going compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements including those from the United States Coast Guard, Army Corp of Engineers, Department of Homeland Security, St. Louis Port Authority, St. Louis Health Department, and other federal, state, and local agencies.
- Develop, review, and administer policies and procedures for all aspects of assigned operations.
- Assure the timely resolution of operational, staff, and customer service issues.
- Collaborate with management staff of the Tourism Innovation Division as well as staff from Bi-State Development to realize and achieve established vision, mission, goals, and objectives.
- Collaborate with current business partners (National Park Service, heliport concessionaire, and others) and seek new partnerships to maintain and strengthen political and public support for assigned operations.
- Actively participate with industry partners (Explore St. Louis, Missouri Division of Tourism, St. Louis Attractions Association, and others) and seek new partnerships to maintain and strengthen political and public support for assigned operations.
- In collaboration with Tourism Innovation staff and BSD Information Technology staff, lead and manage the use and advancement of technology used for ticketing, retail, food and beverage, and financial management.
- Obtain licenses, leases, permits, and certificates required for assigned operations.
- Procure or contract with individuals or groups to provide entertainment (musical) for cruises.
- In support of Marine Operations Department, procure or contract with individuals or companies to provide services and/or repairs as needed.
- As requested, serve as a spokesperson for public and media relations efforts.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Disposition: requires high energy level and ability to sustain enthusiastic, optimistic approach. Strategic-thinker, inventive, creative, dynamic, adaptive, and flexibility
- Excellent Communication Skills: ability to convey information effectively orally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to interact effectively with others including listening and understanding;
- Ability to establish credibility and trust Coordination: communicating with others to understand the goals and plans of other units and to allow adjustment of activities Industry knowledge:
- Knowledge of/ familiarity with hospitality, tourism, and/or riverboat industries Leadership skills: planning, coordinating, and leading others in carrying out plans and objectives; proficient in the simultaneous management of diverse products /services/operations Financial planning:
- Ability to develop budgets and financial objectives by reviewing financial data Creativity:
- Ability to generate new ideas Judgment and Decision-making: ability to gather and weigh significant information to come up with an effective decision Knowledge of food and beverage:
- Knowledge of principles and methods involved in procuring, producing, presenting, and serving standard and custom menus Knowledge of facilities management:
- Knowledge of principles and methods involved in maintaining, repairing, and replacing facilities and systems Customer Service:
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and customer satisfaction evaluation techniques
- Time management skills: effectively managing own and others’ time Outcome-orientation: accountable for results of efforts and activities, concern for goal achievement Initiative:
- Ability to work independently to develop and implement new business strategies, policies and procedures
- Technology: knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office Suite tools, CRM applications, and point of sale systems United States Coast Guard certifications
- Ability to obtain USCG certifications for Deckhand and/or Mate positions.
- Work hours: Ability to work non-traditional schedule including nights and weekends.
Degree: Bachelor’s Degree required
Years: Minimum 10 years required. In lieu of degree, equivalent work experience of 15 years required
Field: Business Administration, Public Policy or related field
Field: Tourism, Hospitality, or related field
Bi-State Development is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity experience for all employees, applicants, vendors and customers with an environment free of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.